Semi Trailer Tires

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

hottshot65

Semi Trailer Tires

Post by hottshot65 »

Hi folks,

I'm currently designing some truck trailers for my flatcars. I'm on the hunt for suitable wheels. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
Gerry
Council Bluffs, IA

0-4-2 Chloe
Burlington Northern 7188
steamin10

Re: Semi Trailer Tires

Post by steamin10 »

I made two round front trailers that were like what was on the road in the 40-50's, and a bit short. I used copper tubing for the landing gear, and cheap plastic center wheels from a lawn mower for the duals, (one axle). They were chewed on a bit to modify the diamond tread, to a more road like tread on the lathe, and drilled holes in the center disc for a Bud wheel. I imagine a spider, and lugs could be cut from plexi, and the wheel enter cut out for a different look, but I was satisfied with what came out. The fine cabinet grained wood, the box/chassis was built from, did not like abuse or moisture, so good sealing and painting would be needed if you go that route.

I have seen some containers that were not much more than boxes with some wood strips, but the lettering for Hapag-lloyd, and Seatran, made the show. They were made about 3/4 size with all the ribs in wood, but on the flatcar they were well short of car width, and provided seating for bodies. I thought it worked well.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Gerry,

Contact David Gehrke at West Bend Railcar Shops. He makes all steel semi trailers for flat car loads. Beautiful stuff! Maybe he can provide the source for wheels. Take a look at his site. Many more photos there of semi trailers completed and painted. I bought a 6 ft. welded steel gondola from him along with many custom made detail parts. He does nice fabrication work.

Hopefully David can help. Not affiliated with David, just a happy customer.

Here's a link to the place in West Bend, WI

https://www.facebook.com/WBRCS
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I say this in only the most affectionate terms: Youse guys is nuts! :mrgreen:

And I love and respect each and every one of you. :D
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
fly5150

Post by fly5150 »

I was thinking about casting some in urethane that are exact scale reproductions of an Alcoa 22.5" wheel and tire for a while now. Is there enough interest in these?
JoeKahan

Post by JoeKahan »

I would be interested in about 4 to 12 of them if price was reasonable. Also, would they be cast in color or would they be paintable?
Joe
Joe Kahan
C.E.O. Paradise and Warm Springs Railway
GE 23T Box Cab
Allen Chloe Project
M.O.W. Highrailer project
Gary Armitstead

fly5150 wrote:I was thinking about casting some in urethane that are exact scale reproductions of an Alcoa 22.5" wheel and tire for a while now. Is there enough interest in these?
In my "other life" before retirement, I was a Die Sinker and used to make the forging dies for the forged aluminum truck wheels for Alcoa. Wish I still had access to the prints for those wheels now!
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Gary Armitstead wrote:
fly5150 wrote:I was thinking about casting some in urethane that are exact scale reproductions of an Alcoa 22.5" wheel and tire for a while now. Is there enough interest in these?
In my "other life" before retirement, I was a Die Sinker and used to make the forging dies for the forged aluminum truck wheels for Alcoa. Wish I still had access to the prints for those wheels now!
You'd likely know the right people to talk to, why not tell them why you want prints and ask if you can have them?

It's not like competitors can't buy Alcoa's rims and reverse engineer them...
Gary Armitstead

redneckalbertan wrote:
Gary Armitstead wrote:
You'd likely know the right people to talk to, why not tell them why you want prints and ask if you can have them?

It's not like competitors can't buy Alcoa's rims and reverse engineer them...
I was good friends with many of the designers at Alcoa, Vernon, CA. I would definitely know who to talk to and they would probably give me some. The ONLY problem is that these guys are on the "dirt side" of the grass now and might be a little difficult to reach :). I sank these dies over forty years ago. :)
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
chooch

Post by chooch »

I think-- someone of the Montreal Live Steamers build a scale model of the Kenworth semi truck. right from the company plans. Not sure where / what site i saw it on but, maybe a question to them might help. I`m always looking in the Toy aisles for something I might use for 1-1/2 trains so, about what size would the tires/wheels be. 4--5" diameter??
There are also hobby sites for trailer trucks RC and otherwise.
chooch
chooch

Post by chooch »

No solution,further answers to the Trailer Tire question. Where to get them, the approx. diameter, will someone be making them??
Guess a visit to a truck stop with a tape measure will be needed. :idea:
chooch
fly5150

Post by fly5150 »

I have drawn up a 100% exact scale 22.5" alcoa rim and a rough representation of the tire. I am quoting it out in a variety of production options as it looks like a large quantity is needed. I also found a company that makes perfect machined aluminum wheels and rubber tires, but very expensive. I hope to have a scale offering soon.