Mysterious "1/2 Axis" Displayed on DRO

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Mysterious "1/2 Axis" Displayed on DRO

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have a Griffin GF800 (Lih Rurng) DRO on my lathe. The danged thing refuses to zero on the x axis. It keeps saying "1/2 axis" on the display. Y is fine.

While I'm digging through the manual, can someone give me a clue what this means and how to clear it?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Re: Mysterious "1/2 Axis" Displayed on DRO

Post by SteveHGraham »

It looks like I found the answer. You have to push random buttons while cursing in a loud voice.

Apparently you don't have to go past the S word.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I have found that if you use your middle finger instead of your index finger to push the buttons not as many curse words are required
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

You have a Y axis on your lathe, that's a posh one!
;-)
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Reading the manual, it looks like that is part of the center finding function. "X" to exit.
=====================
3.5 Search the center of work-piece
Function: Divide the current display value by 2. With this function, you can set origin at the center of the work-piece.
Example: Set up the central point of X-axis for the work piece.
Operating steps:
1. Return to normal monitor state.
2. Locate to your first position (one edge of your work-piece) and press [X0] to zero X-axis.
3. Locate to the second position (the other edge of the work-piece) and press [1/2] to locate the central point. The message-window displays “1/2 AXIS”.
4. Press [X], you have set up the central find of X-axis.
5. Move until the display value of X-axis is “0”and it is the central of the work-piece.
======================
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thank you. I can't find that stupid manual anywhere. I will see if I can put this to use.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

The Griffin GF800 appears to be rebadged, probably Rational Precision Instruments WE6800 (which in fact might be made by a completely different subcontractor, definitely not Sino I would guess though). Try this for a manual, surprisingly good translation compared to the Sino rebrands.

http://www.atrump.com/upload/downloads/ ... 405521.pdf
Last edited by choprboy on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I can't thank you enough. I looked all over the web.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Eh, only took me a few minutes to find. I had previously looked at quite a few different models when replacing my Sino rebadge. It also helps to have the neural implant directly from Google; though it does come with inopportune nose bleeds, excruciating headaches, and a weird propensity to sing show tunes...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I checked "Griffin," "DRO," "DRO Griffin GF800 manual," "DRO Griffin GF 800 manual," and every possible search involving Lih Rurng instead of Griffin. I replaced "DRO" with "digital readout." I put "PDF" in. I took it out. I rooted through the Lih Rurng website. I tried the searches with no brand name at all. Nothing.

I was not happy to see how many products there are with "GF800" in the name.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Hehe... yeah, so close yet there isn;t a lot of correctly matching stuff out there with a few similar but different products that take the search in the wrong direction (i.e Griffin linear scales for DROs-> GF800 weighing scale). I went thru a few iterations and then "Griffin GF800 dro" gave me a manual (to the WE6800) in the second link. The manual had a matching "1/2 axis" display so I figured I was on the right track.

From there, a bunch of searching around Lih Rurng that was fruitless. An image search finally got me 1 small picture of the GF800 that seemed to match the manual and looked familiar. Then a bunch of looking closer at other rebadged Rational Precision Instrument DROs and I figured I had the original source.
fmitrade

Post by fmitrade »

I need help on getting a copy of the manual for the Griffin DRO GF 800 control. Could someone help me out please?