Jet 1236P

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Jet 1236P

Post by ctwo »

New acquisition. Maybe someone can help fill in some pieces...

Missing the forward/reverse switch at the gearbox. This is just an electrical reversing switch? Perhaps I can fashion something to work there.

Needs a motor. It has a 1/3 HP dayton wired with a light switch. I think I have a 2HP dayton here, maybe it's 1HP.

Otherwise, seems well used, but not broken or completely worn out yet.

Not sure what chuck mounting it has, has a 3-jaw.

What appealed to me was the 1.5" spindle bore, metric threading, and longer centers, plus a bit larger than my 10" Logan. I figured if I have to I can spruce it up and sell it
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Re: Jet 1236P

Post by John Evans »

A picture would be of help. Not familiar with that model #. A good picture of the HS area and where said switch is would help.
www.chaski.com
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

This is the seller's pic. I had just enough time to get it stuffed into the corner right now. I need to make a bench.

I think it has an off 2-3/8" 60mm pitch or some metric sae hybrid threaded spindle (MT5). Looks like one-piece jaws from the pic.

The switch location is (would be) under the left side of the lead screw against the head stock. He's stuck a square aluminum tube on the shifting shaft to protect the works there.

Separate drive shaft and threading screw.

Any thoughts on if it's worth a strip down and refurb, or just wear it out the rest of the way? I think I know the answer there.

Now I'm not really sure why I bought it. I should have been looking for a surface grinder...
Attachments
jet05.jpg
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

This one is in better condition, about same price.

http://www.westauction.com/auction/1193 ... athe-76365
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Yep just a electrical switch -drum sw,DPDT toggle would do the job. I would not put a lot of effort into a refurbish ,clean it up -lube it - repair any operational issues and use it. a friend of mine has a simular lathe ,been a good machine. Most likley Taiwan made I would guess. Be nice if you have 4 jaw -steady rest .
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

There was a slightly later model of this lathe, with Two large contactors mounted in a panel. These are 10 terminal contactors. The lower lead rod is controlled by the apron lever with the red knob to a type of F/N/R switch but they found it lacking. So the amps of the 1 HP motor go thru a contactor and the lever/ jog switches amps are minimal.
It is basically the same lathe with a flat face. Enco 1236B.
I can't find a link to it now. It has a small box to the right of the QC box where the rod actuates the lower amperage switch.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I've got an 8" 4-jaw kicking around and I had bought a backplate to mount to my Logan. More appropriate for this lathe, so a new backplate will be sought. No steady with this, or any accessories.

Why do the switch arrangements always seem so complex? It sure would be nice having the on/off in forward and reverse on that lever. Am I going to have to design my own and rig some OTS contactor? What would you do?

Well, before I get too much into it, I need to check out the wear, bearings. Can see a faint wear line on the main ways, so some measurements are forthcoming. There was ~35 thou backlash on the cross dial. It will all be relative to my old Logan.
spro

Post by spro »

It looks pretty complex on the 1236B Enco too. The reason is that is more rational to have a 1 HP on that lathe. It is convenient to have the main power switch and light above and be able to forward/reverse/stop at the apron.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Someone here has it's baby brother 1024PS for sale.

Steve
Attachments
Jet1024PS.jpg
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Will require some investigation.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Those are generally good lathes with hardened ways. Same bas ic design as the 12x37 Grizzly that was just discontinued a few years ago.