MLS International Meet

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

MLS International Meet

Post by Steve Bratina »

A big thank you to the organizers of the MLS meet for another fine gathering. While a bit smaller than previous outings, it still turned out to to be a good old fashioned meet with steam talk, running repairs and food! A tip of the hat to Mr Dave Powell for one of the best live steam performances I have seen in a long time. His 2" scale traction engine ran for several hours on the both days I was there. Quite an amazing little machine running up and down the driveway of the club. Dave is also a very interesting chap to talk with.
I was sorry that Mr Elm wasn't able to make his presentation on the building of the Castleton Cutoff but maybe next time. The other thing that stood out was the table of FREE tools. Never saw that at a show before.
Thank you again for a wonderful time!

Steve
backyardrails

Re: MLS International Meet

Post by backyardrails »

Steve
It's always great having you here. We expect you back sometime this fall. The 0-4-0 was steamed up today. Did a few laps. Just the blower valve didn't function. Great little engine. Thanks again for the delivery.
Bernie
MLS
sncf141r

Post by sncf141r »

Steve, sorry to have missed you - went to MLS today.

Can verify that Bernie's 0-4-0 was ok, didn't even have to push him around the track, like I usually have to do. (joking) (...well, then again, maybe not!)

Dave Powell did indeed steam his little Minnie again today. Fun little machine.

John.
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Steve Bratina wrote:A tip of the hat to Mr Dave Powell for one of the best live steam performances I have seen in a long time. His 2" scale traction engine ran for several hours on the both days I was there. Quite an amazing little machine running up and down the driveway of the club. Dave is also a very interesting chap to talk with.
It is always a pleasure to have you at our live steaming facilities Mr. Bratina.

A big thank you to you and all of our guests who chose to take the time to visit us.
Attachments
Steve Bratina at the helm of David Powell's steam machine.
Steve Bratina at the helm of David Powell's steam machine.
MLS President Frank Desaulniers with his son Olivier on the throttle.
MLS President Frank Desaulniers with his son Olivier on the throttle.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Steve, I am sure dad will be on at some point, but just to make it perfectly clear, the engine was bought, and is not our work :). Dad foisted it off on me, at his home, about 6 weeks ago. I thought it was a complete dog. Then we went to Richmond Hill, and he played with it, and I played with the Britannia (Harry Boneham's). Then he found that the adaptor for the blower was stuck down the chimney of the traction- which MIGHT have been why I thought it was a dog and wouldn't steam (I never saw much beyond 40 psi @ home).

I'm not sure what else dad brought with him, possibly the roller. 4 generations have ridden behind that roller. (Grandmum Powell, Dad & mum, myself & Mhari, and Allen & Meg (Mhari's daughter)) . Mind, it's just like grandfathers finest axe-it's had 3 new heads, 2 new handles, and is the same axe.

That's over the last 16 years that he's been to Montreal's International. I'd like to make it back, but it all depends on timings. We'd have to leave here 4 or 5 days before to get there with the van. So it would for now depend on when School ends.

James
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Hey James,

Your Dad is a treat to have visit. He had that wee traction engine in steam every day, all day and had uncounted engineers at the throttle. If the engine was idling it was because it was time for a meal and he regaled us with stories of man and machine which entertained us all.

Here's a snap of 88-year old Ernie Grow with an 8-year old's smile as your Dad keeps an eye on his road engine.
Attachments
IMG_2019-1024.jpg
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Wouldn't care if your dad won the engine on a bet that Brittain leaves the EU. He was the highlight of the meet I think.
Last edited by Steve Bratina on Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19copythree

Post by 19copythree »

a few pics...
Attachments
_DSC0217 (1024x680).jpg
19copythree

Post by 19copythree »

more pics
Attachments
_DSC0213 (1024x680) (2).jpg
_DSC0233 (1024x680).jpg
_DSC0230 (1024x680).jpg
_DSC0227 (1024x680).jpg
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Steve Bratina wrote:Wouldn't care if your dad won the engine on a bet that Brittain leaves the EU. He was the highlight of the meet I think.

Steve, you are perfectly open about where you get most of your loco's from- and we try to be too !. There are some people out there who have made suspect claims about various engines, and how much actual work they did on them. Since we (dad and I) don't feel the need to take credit for other people's work, we are very clear on what is our work and what is not our work. The 2" Minnie is a fine looking engine, and has about .01% of our work in it so far, unlike the roller which is up to about 95% dad's work now. (I think the rolls are the only "original" parts left, and they were traded for about 45 years ago, before my time) It just is one of our pet peeve's, those who very clearly didn't make something, but leave the impression that they did. I have nothing against checkbook modeling, as I have done exactly that, but be honest about it.

There has been slow progress on the 2" replacement engine. "My" traction was traded away in 1990 for a 1" Minnie, the boiler was rather thin by then (1/8" plate in the firebox, with 10 years running on it, including 4 hard summers with me firing). This one has been kicking around since the early 1990's, and has been to at least one show as a semi-portable. (as in, engine/boiler were finished by then- I think 1995, and it was to the east of Oshawa, just off the 401 in a field). Anyway, I'm not sure what dad's exact plans are for now as regards which is next, I know that finishing organizing his house move is still a priority. (the basement at least had a bunch of wiring work done, that was part of my job). The medium mill was still in pieces when I left, mostly because I was bbq'd by that point. Dad needed to finish moving other stuff out of the house in Pickering, mostly smaller stuff, but there was still the press to come out.

You know about the 5" gauge engines- that's the other big question mark. The 2-8-2 was still on the garage floor, and that engine is HEAVY for 5" gauge. If worst comes to worst, I will take it and bring it out here, but it's a long way to get it. There is a ground level 5" gauge track here at VIME, so it is possible.

In other bits of it, the seat is a converted yard seat. I'm not sure if it is the Lee Valley or the Princess Auto version, but it works well in either case.

Anyway, I am quite sure dad will have had a good time, but I'd expect that it will be another day before he sticks his head in here :) He's granddad, not just dad . (& he'll probably make some wonderful thick skinned jabs at me for it...)

James
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Wholly Molley! Did this ever go off the tracks. I don't know why we are stuck on this built or bought episode but the whole point of the original remark is that HE (your dad) brought HIS traction engine to the meet and I (meaning me) was very impressed. If something else is seen between the lines then I am too dumb to see it.
To the Chaski Boys.....Good night and good luck.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Perhaps we did go a little off track, those of us who were there had a jolly good time. However, the reason that James posted was to ensure that no one got the impression that we actually built the model I ran. Many years ago I overheard a conversation between another modeller and a spectator about the model he was exhibiting at a show. The conversation lasted some 10 or 15 minutes. During the whole conversation he very carefully avoided the fact that he had actually purchased the part built model in virtually the condition in which it was exhibited, and in fact only had made a few minor alterations. He is still , some 25 yrs later working on the model , it is still unfinished ,and he has never brought any finished working model to any public event, yet anyone listening to him might well think of him as " an Expert". Those who can build and run models do so, their models speak for themselves. I bought " Minnie" so that I would have an engine to run while I finish mine . It has been an outstanding success, BUT THE REAL CREDIT BELONGS TO THE UNKNOWN BUILDER. I have made some minor alterations to the regulator valve and handle, the lubricator, the firebars, blast nozzle and steering chains, that's all I can remember. Regards to all David Powell.