Allen Models 2-8-0

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Moron

Allen Models 2-8-0

Post by Moron »

Just order the first 2 sections to the Allen models 2-8-0. Just wanted to put in a good word for Steve Alley who has been very friendly and helpful. The castings/parts are quality and they arrived very quickly. I'm a happy customer. Looking forward to building this over time. Anybody else out there have pictures of other Allen 2-8-0's? I have seen a few but I know it's harder to come by compared to the moguls/ten wheelers.
lrdg2150

Re: Allen Models 2-8-0

Post by lrdg2150 »

With a few modifications

John
Attachments
IMG_20160730_210349.jpg
Moron

Post by Moron »

Very nice john!
little giant

Post by little giant »

Here's mine completed in May of 2010:
http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/ ... consol.jpg
Moron

Post by Moron »

little giant wrote:Here's mine completed in May of 2010:
http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/ ... consol.jpg

Very good looking! Love the white trim on the wheels
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

The Consolidation is not as common as the Mogul but it's a great engine, very powerful due to the smaller diameter drivers and still on the 2" cylinder bore. With the 8" boiler to power that it really pulls like a monster. Was really impressed with Gene's original model when I ran it a few months ago.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Berne Ketchum

Post by Berne Ketchum »

This is my mostly Allen 2-8-0, finished in 2008. Everything below the running boards is Allen; the boiler is 9" and the cab is fabricated from aluminum sheet. She pulls really well.
Attachments
CGW319_BIG_TRAINbb.jpg
Moron

Post by Moron »

Berne Ketchum wrote:This is my mostly Allen 2-8-0, finished in 2008. Everything below the running boards is Allen; the boiler is 9" and the cab is fabricated from aluminum sheet. She pulls really well.

Very nice looking! Strong puller indeed
Moron

Post by Moron »

Harlock wrote:The Consolidation is not as common as the Mogul but it's a great engine, very powerful due to the smaller diameter drivers and still on the 2" cylinder bore. With the 8" boiler to power that it really pulls like a monster. Was really impressed with Gene's original model when I ran it a few months ago.

-Mike

Good to hear it's still running after all these years. I believe I've seen a few photos floating about
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I always recommend getting all the castings you want for the build for a couple reasons, first they will not be any cheaper in the future and may very well escalate in cost, second is you can't predict how long the supplier will be in business. This is by no means any reflection on the current owner or other suppliers, just a fact that unforseen situtions may happen, and have in the past for suppliers in this hobby.

Rob
NP317

Post by NP317 »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote:I always recommend getting all the castings you want for the build for a couple reasons, first they will not be any cheaper in the future and may very well escalate in cost, second is you can't predict how long the supplier will be in business. This is by no means any reflection on the current owner or other suppliers, just a fact that unforseen situtions may happen, and have in the past for suppliers in this hobby.

Rob
My thoughts, too.
I saved up sufficient funds to purchase entire "kits" of parts and plans, for both my Allen Ten Wheeler and my RR Warehouse 90-ton 2-8-2.
I'm particularly glad I did that for the Mikado, considering that RR Warehouse is closing after selling all his business materials and stock.

Anyone know who now owns the 90-ton 2-8- business?
~RN
little giant

Post by little giant »

The 90-ton Mikado is still up for sale the last time I checked 2 weeks ago on the RR Warehouse website.