New cast iron parts at Allen Models

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Harlock

New cast iron parts at Allen Models

Post by Harlock »

Steve Alley has replaced a number of the aluminum parts for the front end of the larger locomotives with cast iron, in a bid to increase overall strength and correct a weight imbalance on the Mogul, 10-wheeler etc.

This includes the smokebox castings, stack, pilot and various dome castings, and more. The patterns were cleaned up, retooled or remade to accommodate this change. It was a big effort.

In addition, the Chloe main frame and extension are also now available in cast iron, replacing the old items. A long requested upgrade. So pretty much every locomotive benefits in some way from these new parts. (the Fitchburg uses the Mogul sand dome top)

I have created a new category where I have rounded up all these new parts together for easy access:

https://allenmodels.com/new-cast-iron-parts.html

All of the photos are of the actual new cast iron parts except for the pilot beam, which will be updated later.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
cbrew

Re: New cast iron parts at Allen Models

Post by cbrew »

i just received mine, good castings and super service. i will be replace the alum pilot beam with the iron one this winter
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.