Stourbridge Lion

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

10 Wheeler Rob

Stourbridge Lion

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Are there plans and any castings a viable for building a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 inch gage Stourbridge Lion?

Thanks, Rob
SteveM

Re: Stourbridge Lion

Post by SteveM »

You might want to see if you can find this guy to see where he got his:
http://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverfo ... /index.htm

Or find the guy with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2cwhFpq7l4

There was one that ran at WLS a number of years ago.

Steve
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Many years ago, the late GGLS member, Bill Brower, built a beautiful one in 7 1/2-inch gauge. I have attempted to run a photo of it. Before Bill died, he sold it to GGLS Past President 'Norm Oellerich' who lives in Galt, CA. Norm dropped out of the club years ago, but kept the engine and brought it to the GGLS 75th Anniversary Meet. Contact Norm's younger brother, Walter Oellerich (Life Member) in Union City, CA via the GGLS Secretary if you desire any further info about it !

Also, if you go to this Chaski site, and scroll down a little bit, the subject of CASTINGS for the Stourbridge Lion comes up. http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=26542
Good Luck !!

Ken Shattock
IBLS
Attachments
Stourbridge Lion in Bill Brower's shop-Orinda, CA.
Stourbridge Lion in Bill Brower's shop-Orinda, CA.
A close-up view of the Stourbridge Lion in Bill Brower's shop-Orinda, CA.
A close-up view of the Stourbridge Lion in Bill Brower's shop-Orinda, CA.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Also called Titfield Thunderbolt. It's available in 3.5" ga. There is no 7 1/8" ga. The engine "Locomotion" pictured is available in from the UK in 7 1/4" and I assume can be built in 7 1/2".
http://www.ajreeves.com/locomotion.html
This may be my next build.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

Sorry Fred, but unless I've misunderstood your post, 'Stourbridge Lion' is a totally different and much older loco than 'Lion' a.k.a. "Titfield Thunderbolt". I'm absolutely certain of this as I'm one of the last people to have steamed the full-size 'Lion' before it became a permanent static museum exhibit.
Cheers,
Ray.
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

RAY is correct !!! Fred is unfortunately, Incorrect. The 'LION' (1838) ran on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. In 1952, it was pulled out of the museum and starred in Ealing Studios motion picture, the "Titfield Thunderbolt" ... Several years later, it was steamed-up again for a special occasion, but after that, smarter people prevailed and figured they had better not push an 1838 boiler much longer.

So anyway, Sir Fred, look at a photo of the "LION" and a photo of the "STOURBRIDGE LION"..

You will readily see the difference !

Cheers.

Ken Shattock
IBLS
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Right, sorry, got fingers going faster than my brain. So is Locomotion the same engine as Lion?
Did I get any of this right?
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Fred--- One of these days you might just get it ! But not yet !!
"LION" is "LION"-- a locomotive that has a simple, cute appearance. Nothing near Stourbridge Lion or Locomotion. Sorry !!
Cheers.

Ken Shattock
IBLS
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

Lion was one of two 'Luggage Engines' (the other was Tiger) supplied to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in 1838 by Todd Kitson and Laird of Leeds. She was 're-discovered' acting as a stationary pumping engine in Liverpool docks and was first restored for the centenary of the L&MR in 1930. Over the next 50 years 'Lion' was stored/displayed in various places and occasionally brought out for filming 'Titfield Thunderbolt' etc. In 1979 she was restored once more for 'Rocket 150' and ran to that, and other events, under her own steam including running down the West Coast Mainline being overtaken by electric trains doing 100mph! In preparation for these runs Lion carried out a number of 'braking trials' between our base in Southport and Burscough Bridge as shown in the attached photo. As you can see Lion bears little resemblance to Stourbridge Lion being a much more 'modern' loco. Many models of Lion have been built, in 3 1/2", 5" and 7 1/4" gauges. Strangely a 5"g. one I used to drive ran just like the full-size!
Ray.
Attachments
15 Lion having run round at Burscough Bridge May 1980 a.jpg
39 Rich Mawdsley and self crewing Lion a.jpg