Looking for Harry Haas ATSF Northern design

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SF2900

Re: Looking for Harry Haas ATSF Northern design

Post by SF2900 »

When I started my 2900 project many years ago it was going to be based on a Little Engines New Northern as I had no live steam and very little machining experience. Harry let me know in no uncertain terms that any engine made from that kit would NOT be a 2900 class locomotive! So after I talked Ed Yungling into helping me, I sold my Little Engines kit to Pamela and started over. There are original drawings for the 2900 that can be found - the Ca State RR museum and Roger Goldman being the 2 main sources that I have used. Ed takes these drawings and redraws them in BobCAD in the appropriate scale for our use in construction. The current build is totally from scratch and so far the only castings we have used are the drivers (modified using Eds patterns for his GS engines), spring end connectors (we made new molds and had them cast; not sure what they are really called) and Timken journal box lids (using Eds mold). You can check out here what we have accomplished so far- http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 45&t=89404
-Ward

PS - Thanks LSGod!
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

"The 2929 was built about 1990 by a guy who's last name was Stewart and lived in the St Louis area."

That wouldn't have been a guy named 'Starrett' would it? I've heard of a guy who lived in Missouri whose last name was Starrett who did work on steam locomotives for people. I don't know the man and never did meet him, but most of what I heard from others about his work was not kind. Of course, he may have just rubbed some people the wrong way, too.

Could this be the same guy? Just curious.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Pontiacguy 1:

You are right. His name was Starrett. The workmanship was very poor.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

JKreider wrote:Pontiacguy 1:

You are right. His name was Starrett. The workmanship was very poor.
Rather ironic given the quality of tools of the same name.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

Harry Haas did use my GS drivers on his 2900's.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

My 3460 series Hudson started out life as basically an Alco design LE northern with one driver chopped out.....the Alco northern is drastically different than the "new" northern and considerably smaller. I have found it pretty easy to "fudge" many detail differences between the Alco and Baldwin designs. Once I'm finished anyone will be pretty hard pressed to see differences.

I went this route because everything is readily available and without question a proven stellar performer. Both the northern and Hudson are huge beasts. Paul Keiser's 9100 and 1690 prove that...I have run both pretty extensively.
Figured...go with what's easy to get....and works well.....
Pamela
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Jimmy Starrett is the gentleman who built the Jim Robison engine, apparently the 2929. He was from Joplin, MO as I recall. I met him around 1988 (I know it was before I graduated from HS in 1990) at the Lake Shore Live Steamers track in Kirtland, OH. He was working out of one of our member's shops to finish a 3-3/4" scale 2-6-2 and train of cars for an individual who wanted his own estate railroad in Waite Hills, about 10 minutes from the LSLS track. Jimmy was a very genuine guy, and a real pleasure to talk to and spend time with talking about steam and railroading in general. The 3-3/4" 2-6-2 is the only work of his that I have seen up close when it was owned by the gentleman who owns The Station in Columbus, OH. In my opinion, it was a pretty simple locomotive, largely fabricated, but definitely built to scale and has the right proportions. I believe that engine is now out in Salt Lake City, Utah area.

Jimmy also built a 15" gauge diesel switcher that we used at the Knoxville World Fair.

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

As I recall, Harry used a trailing truck frame cast from the pattern made for Lew Soibelman's ATSF 2-10-4. I believe Jack Sessums made that pattern.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

There was a number of castings used on both Harrys northerns and lous texas.....this coming from Harry when I bought the tender tank sides for my Hudson.

Pamela
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Hudson Honey

I have missed your Hudson progress posts. Are you still working on it?

John B.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Yes....just nothing to really post..just fiddlie nonsense. Piping....brackets...painting bits.

Pamela
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

The drivers were from GS-4 patterns that I made.