Has anyone every tried to build an SP 2-8-8-4 AC-9?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dylerbiller

Has anyone every tried to build an SP 2-8-8-4 AC-9?

Post by Dylerbiller »

Hello everyone! I've been in the hobby for a little over a year now and I have a couple projects in mind. One is a small locomotive that is in an early stage. I want to do that to get a better feel on building a locomotive. Once that is complete, I intend to start a much longer-term project for my dream locomotive. A 1.6" AC-9 Yellowstone. However, I have had trouble locating any drawings and I'm starting to wonder if the original Lima drawings still exist. Alternatively, if anyone here on Chaski has built or is building an AC-9, what are you using for plans? Any input is much appreciated! :D
Miserlou57

Re: Has anyone every tried to build an SP 2-8-8-4 AC-9?

Post by Miserlou57 »

A gentleman in Northern California who posts on this board built an SP Cab-Forward. Not sure which one, but appears the most modern, maybe an AC-12.

I think the traditional response will look like this:
LOTS of original drawings are available from the California State Railroad Museum.
Roger Goldmann from Livesteamlocomotives.com is commonly a go-to place for drawings for a number of western railroads. Upon a brief look, it looks like he has part of what you're looking for. http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/dra ... -8-8-4.htm

SP shared a lot of parts so you may be able to look at similar engines to get what you need as well.
Dylerbiller

Post by Dylerbiller »

Thanks for the link. Living in Northern CA, I have seen the AC-12 you are talking about. I'll probably make a trip to the CSRM Library archives at some point as well.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

There was a beautiful Yellowstone at train mountain in 2012. Owned by a younger gentleman.
His name escapes me.

Pamela
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

that will be Dave Workman, his loco is featured in the first minute of this video. Larry, the owner and builder of the Erie triplex is also the builder of the Yellowstone for Dave
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Ed Yungling's cab forward is an AC10 class, not an AC12.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Dylerbiller wrote:....However, I have had trouble locating any drawings and I'm starting to wonder if the original Lima drawings still exist.
Besides the erecting and cross sections, Roger Goldmann has a few other drawings for the AC9 ( http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/dra ... -8-8-4.htm ). These drawings are by no means are a complete set. Roger also has the AC9 tender erecting drawing ( http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/dra ... enders.htm ) and good number of tender truck drawings (http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/dra ... _set_1.htm ).

The CSRRM has a collection of Lima drawings for various locomotives in their archive.... You might try them as well.

Good Luck!

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Dylerbiller

Post by Dylerbiller »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I've been to the CSRM library and they had all the drawings I will ever need, and then some. I'm sure I will use the drawings and erecting diagrams on the links provided as well. Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll see you all out on the rails on this 2-8-8-4 in many more years than I probably think I will!
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

The answer to your original question is yes. In the mid 1970s LALS president Gary Kubacik (speeing?) was deep into the beginings of one. As he was approaching retirement he had built his shop and had purchased a new Clausing-Colchester lathe and a used mill + some other machine tools in prep for construction. He had the drive wheels cast and was working on drawings and patterns when died of a heart attack in his sleep. I have no idea what happened to the AC-9 castings and drawings. His lathe is in the possession of one of our members who may also have the mill and other things. He thought that the AC-9 was the most graceful of all the big articulated engines and I agree with that. That Daylight type skyline casing did it.
Cary
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

RE read you 1st post. I think the Cal. State RR Museum has the Lima drawings. That would be the 1st place to start.
Cary
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

The AC-10,11 & 12 were all about the same. The AC-9 used a lot of parts such as drivers,rods etc as the AC 7 thru 12. The boiler was 3 inch's larger in dia ( 109 1/8 inch's). The AC-9 used multiple bearing guides instead of alligator. The CSRM has most of the drawings but are missing the Lima index and the trailing truck drawing. I came across the TT drawing a few years back. I was thinking about building an AC-9 but the years caught up with me. I did start an SP&S Z8 4-6-6-4. I have a set of drivers that can be used on the AC-9.

LSGOD