Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here is a shot of my 1919 Dalton 7"x36" lathe. Mostly restored and repainted. Still have a few small things to do such as trouble shot the threading dial, attached a couple of spindle guards and set up the oilers and quick change toolpost.
IMG_1659.JPG
Glenn B.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
spro

Post by spro »

It was good to see your Dalton. Very good looking and without those cover sections, we see the nice head gears. Mine is a floor model with the legs and the left pair have a section to hang the change gears. It was originally driven by overhead line shaft. I have not been able to establish what year it is. The back cone section is different and some minor difference of the carriage controls but it is basically the same lathe. Mine has "DALTON 6" cast across the bed front but a normal measure is 7".
I wondered about that slot in your back bedway . It may be that was required for it to be known as a 7. These are solid lathes with the large "V" ways but I could use larger dials.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Spro, Iam envious of your table legs set up. Yours seem to be quite rare. Can you post a photo or two?

Mine probably used a line shaft drive when new. But nothing survives, so I fabricated the drive mechanism using a South Bend 9 motor casting. Had to make a stand alone post to mount the drive belt tensioning lever. The gears have little noticeable wear, although one tooth on the back gear is broken off and been repaired sometime in the past.

I joined the Dalton Gang on Yahoo lists last year, moderated by Dennis Turk. Dennis is a wealth of knowledge about Dalton's. He has maybe 5 or 6 restored Daltons, possibly more in his shop in Oregon.

So, one of things Dennis passed on to me is the "Dalton -6" name orignally meant the Dalton lathe has six possible set up configurations. It's often mistaken for the swing. But it's the name of the style of lathe.

Cheers,
Glenn P.

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for the info, Glenn. Mine doesn't have those neat stanchions for a bench, as the legs mount directly to the bed. The "back drive" cone section is original and similar to germaneihgter's 10" Atlas in previous page. His pic shows the lathe running and we can see the shaft/bearing section is suspended. That shaft can be repositioned without, say unbolting the legs from the floor. So it does go back to an early time. I admire the quality of your and his photos. We can expand them with clarity by the work of Marty and others here. Salutes again.
On the other hand, I can't post a pic of my Dalton at this time. I'll visit the Dalton club and put a link to similar. Dalton had a Tee slot running along the back of the bed. The PO used that to suspend the motor platform at one side. So there is a key or two in that slot fixed to hinging and strut adjustment for motor alignment.
germaneighter

Post by germaneighter »

Ahh, I see you've got the fever! It gets better over time, as you acquire additional machines. I can actually resist buying stuff now... There are lots of nifty machining videos on You Tube also. I particularly enjoy Tubalcane (aka Mr. Pete) and Keith Rucker, particularly when looking into a specific method or using some new to me tooling or component.

Glenn
Ha Ha.....you're correct! I'm about as much of a novice as one can be but all I can think about lately are these lathes! I recently missed a chance to purchase a little Unimat.....and I still can't get it out of my head. I think it was for the best.....
I have watched numerous "Tubalcane" videos.....very helpful. I'll have to look up Keith Rucker's.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Update on my progress. Finished painting everything but the inside of the chip tray. Now I just need a new, larger garage to put her in!
tmp_5004-2016-10-23 16.54.351757862767.jpg
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
JackF

Post by JackF »

Looks great :D , Can't wait to see it all together. I may have missed it but what size is it?

Jack.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

15 x 30. Bed was cast in November, 1953.

I'm getting pumped to see it together and running again, myself!
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

spro

Post by spro »

Really nice job with the painting. I confess to expanding the image and it is really good with no chips or runs. So now perhaps another way with the chip pan. This baby will be run with coolant at times and all manner of tools and things dropped in it. I can say that because I know you will Use it! That would be something I would ponder and think of an epoxy.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks, spro. There are a few runs, but I figure it's a machine and that it will invariably get marred, so I'm not going to fret over them. Most will be hidden by added rods or the chuck. Of course, that didn't stop me from Bondo'ing the heck out of the front of the bed to smooth out the casting! :)

Excellent point on the inside of the tray. That had not occurred to me and I like the idea.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

spro

Post by spro »

I won't tell anyone.:)
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ed, looking Good! what kind paint did you use?

Glenn P.