New Bettendorf Freight Truck Kit from Allen Models

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

New Bettendorf Freight Truck Kit from Allen Models

Post by Harlock »

Allen Models continues to unveil many new products this fall. Their latest item is a 1.5” scale Bettendorf freight truck. This classic freight truck is suitable for a great variety of rolling stock and eras. https://allenmodels.com/trucks/bettendo ... k-kit.html

It is a simple kit with few parts, easy to machine and assemble yourself. Choose between three different wheel styles. All of the cast pieces are high quality cast iron, no aluminum.

This truck completes the freight truck offerings for the time being. We now cover three major steam-era freight trucks, the arch bar, roller bearing and now the Bettendorf trucks. The complete line-up of truck offerings is visible in the trucks category:
https://allenmodels.com/trucks.html

Cheers,

-Mike
Attachments
16-09-12_ALlen_models_NG-and-trucks-8242.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Steve Alley

Re: New Bettendorf Freight Truck Kit from Allen Models

Post by Steve Alley »

We are going to run a special price until Dec 25, 2016 for this. Normally $186.00 + freight 20.00 Lg. flat rate.
Discount price $150.00 that 36.00 off plus freight $20.00 per truck. Note you must call this order in at (775-782-3800) due to discount needs to be applied. Note this is not a finish product. Machining required.

Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Steve/Mike...while I'm not in the market for trucks at this time (have a stash of trucks in the shop now for future projects), hope you'll pardon my "pickiness". It's not clear what all is included in the truck kit price. Specifically...bearings. Bearings are noted with other truck parts that can be purchased individually, but there's no mention of bearings in the "what's included description". The "kit" photo doesn't show the bearings either. Just thought I'd ask. Others might wonder the same thing. You might mention axle stock diameter as well. Just sayin'. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The page takes a little getting used to,
But the bearings are the last item, showing
a quantity of 4.

The only option is wheel casting type.

Quantity of 1 at the bottom is one casting kit
including four wheels, two side frames, one bolster, 8 springs, and four bearings.

https://allenmodels.com/trucks/bettendo ... k-kit.html
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

ccvstmr wrote:Steve/Mike...while I'm not in the market for trucks at this time (have a stash of trucks in the shop now for future projects), hope you'll pardon my "pickiness". It's not clear what all is included in the truck kit price. Specifically...bearings. Bearings are noted with other truck parts that can be purchased individually, but there's no mention of bearings in the "what's included description". The "kit" photo doesn't show the bearings either. Just thought I'd ask. Others might wonder the same thing. You might mention axle stock diameter as well. Just sayin'. Carl B.
Hi Carl,

As Makinsmoke mentions, they are the last item on the parts list, qty 4. The parts list is below the description. There is a choice of wheels, and the rest is listed below the wheels.

On my to-do list for the next two weeks is to make bundle items like truck kits look more like the locomotive sections, where you can see a picture of each item and click on its name to get to that individual item.

The site is still having improvements made to it as we go. We started with around 300 individual part products in May and we'll be up to over 400 by the time we are done with the continuing additions we have planned. I'm currently balancing time between inventory additions and site improvements.

Cheers,

-Mike
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Mike (& Steve A.):
Your new website is a superb improvement for the Allen Line of locomotives and products. Well Done!
I just order 8 of the new spiral-back 4" wheel castings, and the website order-system worked as intended, including notifications to my email.

So please know your huge efforts are working, and are appreciated. The website certainly has the potential to accelerate your business.
'Got my vote.
~RN
Last edited by NP317 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Is the price listed for a pair of trucks or a single truck? Its a bit confusing as you generally buy truck kit in pairs.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Could we learn what type of cast iron are these cast in? Ductile, gray, white, malleable?
John Brock
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Are spring seats included or must they be fabricated? The picture of the assembled truck shows what appears to be castings.

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Trainman4602 wrote:Is the price listed for a pair of trucks or a single truck? Its a bit confusing as you generally buy truck kit in pairs.
It is for a single truck. We will try to make that more clear.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

VO4454 wrote:Are spring seats included or must they be fabricated? The picture of the assembled truck shows what appears to be castings.

Vic
The photo of the completed prototype truck shows a spring seat, but it is not actually needed on this truck and is not included. We will be updating the photo as time permits. In the mean time, a note has been made on the description.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

jcbrock wrote:Could we learn what type of cast iron are these cast in? Ductile, gray, white, malleable?
It is #30 gray iron.

Cheers,

-Mike