Printed Sand Molds

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Printed Sand Molds

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi All

Is there some place other than Hoosier Pattern to get sand molds printed?

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
FLSTEAM

Re: Printed Sand Molds

Post by FLSTEAM »

Sand molds or Sand cores?

John B
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi John

They can print ether one. But I need molds printed.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
WJH

Post by WJH »

Shapeways? Maybe one of their "materials" is sand like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hudson

Post by hudson »

Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

We have an old post from maybe 5-6 years ago concerning printed sand molds. It was way too expensive for any of us that looked at it. If you need speed because your overhead is $1000 a day, then It makes since, if not, it costs a fortune. The best process at the lowest cost was CNC patterns. Its the cheapest way to get accurate parts and you get to keep the patterns and the files. The money you'll save is huge.

I wish you the best!
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I asked them to quote the printing and casting separately so I can look at cost. The part is 2 pounds over my in house casting capability so it is worth a little not having to spent money on larger equipment. I can cast all of the others parts I need.

I hope it works out.

Tim

Loco112 wrote:We have an old post from maybe 5-6 years ago concerning printed sand molds. It was way too expensive for any of us that looked at it. If you need speed because your overhead is $1000 a day, then It makes since, if not, it costs a fortune. The best process at the lowest cost was CNC patterns. Its the cheapest way to get accurate parts and you get to keep the patterns and the files. The money you'll save is huge.

I wish you the best!
Attachments
D16293 Frame Crosstie Bumper Beam Bracket 4th Try with machine allowace 1.6 Scale.JPG