Parting with internal thread

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Blackwatch42nd

Re: Parting with internal thread

Post by Blackwatch42nd »

GlennW wrote:When the parting tool breaks through the brass part it may grab it and tighten it on the threaded rod pinching the parting tool.
Well, you live and learn. I tried this before reading your reply and, yep, that's what happened. Surprisingly, the tool didn't break but it did ruin the next piece inboard. Sooooo, I just parted the last few pieces without the threaded rod. Then, chucking up the all thread, threaded two of the pieces onto the rod, using one as a jam nut, the piece I was working on slightly hanging off the end, I was able to face and chamfer it. Only problem was I was unable to get the all thread turning true in the four jaw.

Here's the final result.
20170111_072222.jpg
20170111_072222.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
Thanx for all the advise and help.
John
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

I assume that you single pointed the threads. If I was doing this I would knurl as you did, finish the bore, part off, then mount in soft jaws or collet, chamfer, flip, chamfer,then thread last.
My wheels don't slow me down
Blackwatch42nd

Post by Blackwatch42nd »

tetramachine wrote:I assume that you single pointed the threads. If I was doing this I would knurl as you did, finish the bore, part off, then mount in soft jaws or collet, chamfer, flip, chamfer,then thread last.
Actually, I used a tap. Figured since the nut is so thin (1/8" thickness) it would be easier to tap all at once then part.
John
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Can you part from the inside out?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi