Enco 91007

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

vintageracer13

Enco 91007

Post by vintageracer13 »

Hello All,
I am looking for any info I can find on the Enco 91007. I found a 1983 in the back of a barn that I want to repair. The man that owned it took the quill and spindle out. He has since passed away so I don't know what the issue was. I suspect the gear that moves the quill up and down is bad. By the lack of info I have found so far I know this whole project will be a long shot but the price is low enough to make it worth pursuing. Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide
John Evans

Re: Enco 91007

Post by John Evans »

A picture or 2 of the machine in question would help.Expect to make any needed parts.If this is a drill/mill type machine it better be free!
EDIT : Just googled it ,typical drill/mill . You will be making parts most likely ,max value maybe $50.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm going to assume this is a round column Enco mill/drill, so my comments will be flavored accordingly.
Because parts are most likely not available, even $50 is unreasonable. I'd hesitate if it was free, as making a quill and spindle assembly that would serve is likely far beyond the skill level of most folks, and would require a substantial sized lathe as well. You'd be far better off to put the money you're willing to spend towards a different machine, which will give you the opportunity to avoid a round column.

The inconvenience of owning the round column often escapes those who have no machining experience, so it may not seem significant to you. You'll be well served to pay attention, however. They are the source of considerable aggravation.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
vintageracer13

Post by vintageracer13 »

Thank you for your input. I currently own a RF-31 so I am aware of the challenges. A knee mill just doesn't make sense with the footprint I have to work with. The quill itself looks fine but the gear needs attention I think.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

If you have an RF-31, what is the difference in what you are looking at? I am a little surprised at the value being presented, but I am assuming the mill you are looking at is another version of your RF-31.

I think mine is an Enco as well, but I do not recall seeing any branding on it. I think it is the largest of the benchtop machines like this, and a worthy machine to have. But not two versions of the same. Mine is on its own stand and takes up as much floor space as a medium size knee mill.

If the quill pinion is chewed up, repair might not be out of the question. It may also just be with the fine feed.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
vintageracer13

Post by vintageracer13 »

I am sorry mine is a 30 not a 31. The one I am looking at has a large steel base so I don't know if I would clasify it as bench top. This is a 91007 without the large base
8954A.JPG
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

vintageracer13 wrote:Thank you for your input. I currently own a RF-31 so I am aware of the challenges. A knee mill just doesn't make sense with the footprint I have to work with. The quill itself looks fine but the gear needs attention I think.
Ahhh! That's very different. I had interpreted your first post as the quill and spindle having gone missing. I retract my comment in regards to value.

Mill drills are somewhat a compromise as mills go, but they are an excellent drill press.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

The pic of the 91007 looks like a newer version of my M/D. Mine has the 4" column and the head is raised by a crank at the left side of the Head. That's Really awkward. The column base is octagonal, 2hp single phase motor, 28 3/4" x 8 1/4" table. I still use it in the limitations of my basement.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Maybe it would make sense to try to find sister machines made by other manufacturers, so when you look for parts, you won't be restricted to Enco machinery.

I would tell the owner to give me the machine with the understanding that if I can get it to work within, say, three months, I'll give him $50. If not, his payment is your willingness to get a piece of junk off his property.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
vintageracer13

Post by vintageracer13 »

spro wrote:The pic of the 91007 looks like a newer version of my M/D. Mine has the 4" column and the head is raised by a crank at the left side of the Head. That's Really awkward. The column base is octagonal, 2hp single phase motor, 28 3/4" x 8 1/4" table. I still use it in the limitations of my basement.
What is an M/D? I have never heard of these
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

spro wrote:The pic of the 91007 looks like a newer version of my M/D. Mine has the 4" column and the head is raised by a crank at the left side of the Head. That's Really awkward. The column base is octagonal, 2hp single phase motor, 28 3/4" x 8 1/4" table. I still use it in the limitations of my basement.
The machine has done lots of good work for me even though it is a little limber. I was fortunate in having found it with a 3-axis DRO and power feeds, including one on the head!!! That's not awkward at all, spro.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

I have a 91000 Enco mill/drill that's 36 years old and I built my Gene Allen ten-wheeler using this mill. NO....it's not a professional machine, but I'm a retired die sinker and tool maker (40 years) and this mill has done everything I have asked of it, including the "fussy" stuff like connecting rods for my my ten-wheeler. Dialed right in, not a problem. You have to know the capacity of these mills and not do more than they are designed for. A good machinist should be able to do fine work with these little mills. You just have to know how :).

Mine even has the original belts on the drive!
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993