Floorplan

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Hopefuldave

Re: Floorplan

Post by Hopefuldave »

I like the mill next to the lathe, mount a tailstock on the mill table for those longer-than-the lathe jobs!!

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Curious - what are you using to do the drawing?

Steve
RSG

Post by RSG »

Looks good! other than that sander is too close to the lathe if you ask me....sanding grit will land on the ways of the lathe, it's murphys law.... :lol:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

RSG, the first image has the lathe sitting on the floor by the sander. I'm not using the lathe yet. The second image it will be mounted on a stand I have yet to build.

Steve, I use Adobe Illustrator and export as a PNG file type.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

How much space in your 15' shelving unit is going to good use? I have four shelf units and they all seem to have a lot of wasted space. Like maybe over 75% of my storage is either empty space or junk I never even look at. Just homesteader piles of stuff that exists for no other reason than it showed up one day and never went away. I don't get rid of them because they are really nice heavy, industrial shelving. And Took a long time to scrounge them them up. Now they control my shop!

Also Maybe you could consolidate your storage and put your surface plate on your bench- with a plywood box over to use double duty as part of the work table.

Then maybe angle your 20 ton shop press back to back with the CNC and move the bandsaw over into the same space. Frees up some room for your lathe maybe??

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have too much shelf space in my shop too. Full of accumulated projects I'll never get to and boxes I haven't opened since I moved in. I'm in the process of clearing much of that out so that I can redesign my shop to get a new (old) mill, a bandsaw, a surface grinder and a few other things in that I can actually use.

I have one 12' long shelf unit and I cleared so much off of it that I have a space under it to fit the table saw on one side and a rolling toolbox on which I will put my grinders on the other (the shelf unit is just uprights with shelves that clip in and you can start the shelves at any height, so I can just roll the machines under).

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Looking around again, it is clear I have a problem putting things away, and I really like the bench space, can't get enough of it. All my tools and everything are spread out ready to go! It's most efficient :P

The shelves are so over stuffed that things have been falling off the back between the wall studs. 15 feet in 5 foot sections. There is about 4 feet of house paint and I was just telling myself last night I will move all that paint into the shed and reorganize those shelves. That will get the misc. loose items off the floor so I can move the bigger stuff...

If it works out this weekend I will build the lathe stand and get it set up.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
RSG

Post by RSG »

ctwo wrote:The second image it will be mounted on a stand I have yet to build.
That's better.....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yep, I had a bunch of old house paint also. Moved some to the garage, then what the heck, next load all went to the country recycling disposal place. Emailed myself the paint codes so I could go buy a quart for touch up I ever needed to fix something. Actually my buddy a finish carpenter advised me of his mantra regarding storing materials. Mostly exotic wood - take it to the dump! or give away all the scraps and left overs once the job is done. then get what you need next time at the lumber yard! Still not that ruthless about it, but getting closer!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....