Ghost Gunner

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

waverace

Re: Ghost Gunner

Post by waverace »

here's a couple of pictures of the machine, its work, and the completed lower
Attachments
20160101_131058.jpg
10583857_10205376036700915_68112757331752920_n.jpg
20151231_195920.jpg
20151231_223519.jpg
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Nice, that certainly covers it's primary function ;-)
How are you getting on with the possibility of machining other things?
Regards,
Nick
waverace

Post by waverace »

have not had a chance to do any programming yet, still at the bottom of a steep learning curve on that one.
will probably start off with some simple probe and engrave type programs and move on from there, won't be for a while yet though.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

waverace wrote:still at the bottom of a steep learning curve on that one.
I know how that feels, keep at it, it's worth the effort!
Regards,
Nick
Bulldogcoach74

Post by Bulldogcoach74 »

Please let me know if you figure out how to do any programming. I would love to be able to engrave or even skeletonize lowers with my gg.
Dadenz

Post by Dadenz »

Has anyone skeletonized a lower yet? Not much around for open sourced files outo there.
Dadenz

Post by Dadenz »

Bulldogcoach74 wrote:Please let me know if you figure out how to do any programming. I would love to be able to engrave or even skeletonize lowers with my gg.
Have you figured out any engraving? No one really seams to know anything as far as I have seen. I have seen there is a company that will do a code for you but are pretty costly. Wish I knew how to use a cad program I would think it would be a pretty easy thing to do.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Dadenz wrote: I would think it would be a pretty easy thing to do.
Only if you can find a post processor for your CAM package which supports the controller in the Ghost Gunner.
woodguy

Post by woodguy »

Gshield sits on an arduino flashed with GRBL. You talk to GRBL using a gcode sender over a usb link. There are quite a few gcode senders you can download. Everything is open source.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

woodguy wrote:Gshield sits on an arduino flashed with GRBL. You talk to GRBL using a gcode sender over a usb link. There are quite a few gcode senders you can download. Everything is open source.
What CAM supports the GRBL controller though?
Lots of batting around the phrase "Standard G Code" but sadly that's not a specific Post Processor in most CAM packages, Post Processors are written in response to a demand for support for a specific controller, Mach3 and LinuxCNC are supported by quite a few CAM packages, any Post Processor for GRBL would need to deal with the set of codes supported by GRBL.
woodguy

Post by woodguy »

Fusion 360 has a post for grbl. I've used cambam as well, taking care not to use things I know are not supported.
jcarmon

Post by jcarmon »

A ghost gunner is a very small, 3 axis horizontal milling machine. They work like a charm for pieces up to their table size. I even made a 3c collet indexer and small tall stock for mine. I know, Ive got way to much time on my hands. I use mine primarily for engraving aluminum and cnc drilling muzzle break ports.