Special Alloy for Copper Hammers?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Special Alloy for Copper Hammers?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I want to get a split-head hammer with a rawhide face and a copper face. Why? Because it's a tool that I don't have. Do I even have to explain that?

Anyway, the copper bit is a cylinder 1-3/4" in diameter and maybe 1-1/2" long. It costs a stinking fortune. With rawhide alone, the hammer is around $50, but with copper it's over a hundred.

Obviously, I want to put my own copper in there. Or something similar to copper.

Question: is there something special about the copper they use in hammers? If I put my own copper in there will it explode or something?

I have a rod of brass that would work just fine. I'm wondering if there is any reason to prefer copper over brass.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Re: Special Alloy for Copper Hammers?

Post by NP317 »

Well, you would be making a brass hammer, not a copper hammer.
"Do I even have to explain that?"
:roll: :D
~RN
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Both will work-harden with use and end up ... harder than when new.
You can anneal the copper/brass but the hide will not like it and make a stink about it.
Lead is my favored no-mar hammer, and I can recast it when it mushroom to much.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Maybe I should just go with lead.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Maybe I should just go with lead.
If you want something that stays soft, you want lead, if you are going to use metal for the contact.
I have brass and copper hammers, and they all work harden. When they do....they prang things. A lot less than a steel or iron hammer, but they still leave a mark.
That's why I use a urethane dead blow. No strain, no pain, no prangs.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

With the readily available replaceable tip hammers discussed in another thread, I'm not sure why anyone would use anything else (other than historic inertia or simply already at hand). You can even get raw hide tips, at least in the larger sizes, possibly even the smaller. The only exception would be the larger hammers where a fixed head seems the only practical option.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I will never understand the need for a copper, or copper alloy, hammer. All too many struggle with the misconception that they are non-marring, and that simply isn't true. Urethane is the tip of choice, with rare exception.

In regards to particular "copper" for use in hammers, unless one has need for beryllium copper, chosen because of its ability to be hardened, and which offers its own problems, use what you have at your disposal. Know that pure copper will be softer than alloys of copper, but, as has already been stated, any of them will quickly work harden, defeating the purpose of using a soft metal to prevent damaging.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have copper & brass hammers for 1 reason, although they mostly gather dust now.....
---Nothing like a good solid wack with a hammer, a metal hammer, to make something stuck....unstuck. It takes much less energy, from the hammer ------------------, to the part he's a swingin' at, than a dead blow of any kind.
I have a 12 pound dead blow hammer, and sometimes, it just won't move a stuck bucket pin, where a 12 pound double jack.....will. I have a collection of brass & copper discs, with some handles to hold them. One guy holds the lollipop soft disc, the other swings the 12 or 16....or even 20 pound hammer.
I've tried lead, but it absorbs too much energy.....the same problem often, with a dead blow as well.
So, and copper & brass will mar things, especially after some use & work hardening, but much less so than a steel hammer.

That said....on a mill or a drill or a lathe....not the way to go, by any means of the imagination. Especially my mill, drill or lathe.....

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I use a piece of aluminum to knock my mill drawbar loose.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham wrote:I want to get a split-head hammer with a rawhide face and a copper face. Why? Because it's a tool that I don't have. Do I even have to explain that?

Anyway, the copper bit is a cylinder 1-3/4" in diameter and maybe 1-1/2" long. It costs a stinking fortune. With rawhide alone, the hammer is around $50, but with copper it's over a hundred.

Obviously, I want to put my own copper in there. Or something similar to copper.

Question: is there something special about the copper they use in hammers? If I put my own copper in there will it explode or something?

I have a rod of brass that would work just fine. I'm wondering if there is any reason to prefer copper over brass.
I think pure copper (electrical grade) work-hardens less (but it still hardens).
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

My goto hammer is a Rawhide Mallet , but not the little ones you see everywhere. It is 2 3/4 in diameter with wood handle and is awesome !
Have used the same mallet for 30 years and it is going strong. No marks and may be the original dead blow ?

Rich
CaptonZap

Post by CaptonZap »

One reason for copper hammers is so that there are no sparks produced when working in explosive atmospheres, or around readily combustible materials.

CZ