delta rockwell 11" metal lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chucksue

delta rockwell 11" metal lathe

Post by chucksue »

I am looking for the 48 tooth gears in the gear train that change the threading speeds.I have no number on the lathe.
earlgo

Re: delta rockwell 11" metal lathe

Post by earlgo »

chucksue:
If you have other gears that are in the set you need to measure the bore, and determine the diametral pitch of the gears. Most, but not all for the smaller lathes are 16 DP 14 1/2 PA (pressure angle).
Then look at the Boston Gear Catalog and find the gear(s) you need in the 'change gear' section.
Boston gear catalog 12.pdf
(92.29 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
I did this for the Atlas and got a couple of 20T gears and they work as expected and were not too expensive, around $20. A 28 tooth gear was quoted at $36 so your 44 T will be more. I got mine from a local distributer as BG doesn't sell to the hoi polloi.
The important thing is to find out the bore, tooth thickness and diametral pitch before you order from BG or e-bay.
Hope this helps.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
chucksue

Post by chucksue »

The bore is 5/8. I read about the pitch and pressure. I have no gauges but I think I can compare them with the pictures on the net. I have a machine shop real close and they probably have gauges.
I will keep in touch. I know I will have more questions. thank you
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

IIRC, take the number of teeth the gear has, add 2
to that number and then divide by the outside diameter.
This should give you the diametral pitch of the gear.
Pressure angle is something you will need a gauge to
check.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
spro

Post by spro »

You guys nailed it for chucksue. The gear is 3 1/8" OD. 48t +2 =50 so it is 16dp and does measure to 14 1/2pa.
I have two gears for this. One can be on the stud and the other is this gearbox drive. One of them has cast #s which may help. MC L1 76(orG).
the gear is 1/2" wide at the hub and teeth.
spro

Post by spro »

Many of these Rockwells are to gov't spec using different features. One example is www//ebay152118758114 .
chucksue

Post by chucksue »

Looked at the one on eBay. looks like mine. Thank you Blue Chips!
Thanks to everyone. Now it is just a matter of time getting the gears.
I have had the lathe for 30 years. Never could cut gears. 30 years ago I had no means of getting information.Today I do.
spro

Post by spro »

Thirty years slips by so quick. Politics, termites and rust doesn't. Glad we helped. :)
chucksue

Post by chucksue »

I checked all the gears for there DP and they all are 16DP.
spro

Post by spro »

There are some differences between the earlier Delta Rockwell and the later ones. There are two different parts manuals. The earlier are s/n 138-9100 + BELOW #1513 and the later ones.
With the gears, they are spacers too. Both my 48T are on the GB drive and one is a spacer. When I use 48T, the 24T is a spacer. Normal stuff.
spro

Post by spro »

I don't mean to go on about this one lathe but there are at least 4 different under drive benches for them. There were 3 types of spindles and "packages" included in the spec for different applications. Some were 5C and the closure was there( may not have collets) Some were threaded spindle, "American short taper" and many were long taper L00 . Many were equipped with taper attachment and metric transposing gears and Jacobs collet chucks.
It seems many were gov't spec for use in repair ,recovery trucks and other vessels for our Military at that time.
Looking at the plates/emblems of many, one can see the Federal specs and differences. Where they went, what built for... I suppose I am just rambling now. It isn't a big deal now. If not for South Bend keeping records, users/owners would not know where and to what their S. B.lathe with an "anchor" stamp and a s/n saw.
chucksue

Post by chucksue »

How do you post a picture on this forum?