Modeltec Wrecking Crane Search

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Atkinson_Railroad

Modeltec Wrecking Crane Search

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Somewhere in a Modeltec issue is a report on a club track that had a very brief mention and photo
of a wrecking crane sitting idle on a track with its boom pointed left (or North West) in the photo.
I believe it was in an issue after George Broad took over the magazine. I’m recalling as one looks at an open magazine,
the photo was on the right page. I’ve looked through all my material and believe I’ve lost the issue. What I’m seeking,
is who that crane would have belonged to, and who made it. It would likely be in an issue before 1998, “but” cannot be certain.

What makes the search complicated is it would not be on a listing of back issues.
Any assistance from the veteran crowd here would be helpful, but it means having to pull out magazines
and looking at each page to find the information.

The request may be too asking, but I’m asking anyway.

Thank you,

John D. Atkinson

Sneak peek at video build log: https://youtu.be/zHgjHrcuBBA

Aaron F. Scoblic’s Crane in 1939:
https://books.google.com/books?id=WCwDA ... 22&f=false
GN2114

Re: Modeltec Wrecking Crane Search

Post by GN2114 »

You may be referring to Feb. 1985 issue of Live Steam (volume 19 number 2) page 57. Check out the youtube video "Pioneer Valley Live Steamers June 16, 2012" by Karin Wilmarth. Is this the one?
Bob Wheaton
Atkinson_Railroad

That is not the crane. From what I can tell in viewing the video,
that’s a smaller tonnage wrecker than what I recall seeing in the Modeltec issue.
I’m indeed curious about it though. What do we know about that one?
Was it featured in Live Steam as part of construction article in 1985?
And of course photos. Who has a better photo of that crane, and any history behind it to share?

If any of the above is answered in the February 1985 issue of Live Steam, I’m open to acquiring it
from someone willing to part with that issue.

Thanks for your reply Bob.

John
Atkinson_Railroad

After gaining access to a rather large collection of Modeltec and Live Steam magazines, the following
Modeltec issues can be crossed off the search.

1987 entire year
1989 entire year
1990 Jan – May
1991 entire year
1992 entire year except Aug (September not issued)
1993 entire year
1994 entire year
1995 December
1997 entire year except September and December
1998 entire year except January

A crane featured in the December ’95 Modeltec issue is not the wrecker being searched for in the original post.

I post the above because I’ve long been aware of the following:

Noting the continuing “…increase in ‘farming’ of the Internet by those not willing to take the time and effort to do real research the old fashion way…”

If anyone thumbing through Modeltec issues not crossed off the list above finds that
elusive wrecker photo, I’m hopeful you’ll let me know about it.

Thank you all,

John D. Atkinson
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

I took a look thru a few issues that I have and there are no wrecking crane pictures in the issues May 85 to Apr 86 nor any in the whole year of 1988. So you can add those to your issues already searched.

JerryK
Atkinson_Railroad

Thank you Jerry for taking the time to search what you have. (And I know it took time to look through those magazines.)
I've made note of your info.

Unrelated to my Modeltec search, among the Live Steam magazines I had access to in looking for more information on the crane
mentioned earlier in this thread by Bob Wheaton, I did stumble upon another wrecker construction article by John Stephenson.
He built a "Big Hook" that was featured in Live Steam November/December Volume 39 No. 6.

This search exercise has been stoking a curiosity about how many 1-1/2" scale size wreckers are possibly out there as of 2017.

Perhaps a whole other facet of the hobby that could be built upon are equipment rosters. A topic for a different thread someday.

Thanks again Jerry.

JDA
nabob

Post by nabob »

Also not found in the rest of 1990 nor the rest of 1992. Earlier issues would be before George Broad became publisher/editor; I have all the earlier issues and will go through them if you like. Not what you seek, but several photos of Gill R.`s crane in another issue.
Atkinson_Railroad

Have noted your info nabob. Thank you.

June, 1995 in addition to December, '95 mentioned earlier in the thread can be crossed off.

Magazine issues I have no immediate access to thumb through appear to be the remaining 1995 issues, all of 1996,
September and December of 1997, and January of '98.

I'm highly doubtful the wrecker is in an issue after 1998.

John
mblaisdell

Post by mblaisdell »

I found the attached picture in April 2000 Modeltec
The boom is the wrong direction....
Attachments
IMG_5498.JPG
Last edited by mblaisdell on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote:
This search exercise has been stoking a curiosity about how many 1-1/2" scale size wreckers are possibly out there as of 2017.

Perhaps a whole other facet of the hobby that could be built upon are equipment rosters. A topic for a different thread someday.

Thanks again Jerry.

JDA
Certainly one way to preserve interesting old history like these miniature cranes is, when they turn up, post pictures on this thread - maybe a brief notation where they came from e.g. modeltec in this instance. At least, once the old photos(and background information) make it into digital form, and online, they have a good chance of surviving and being carried forward.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....