Logan / Powermatic 2557

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Logan / Powermatic 2557

Post by SteveM »

Looking for information on a potential lathe. Well, it's an actual lathe, but a potential purpose. My Atlas is a potential lathe.

The model says 2557L00H, but it looks like a 2557-V, as the wheel on the stand should be the variable speed control.

According to Logan, it would have come with a standard tailstock, not the turret that is on it.

It's 12"x35", 2-1/4"-8 spindle (camlock would have been nice).

Appears to be early 1970's. Bed is hardened, spindle speeds go up to 2,000 rpm on sealed bearings.

What can anyone tell me about it? Anyone own one?

Can I get by with the turret until (by some miracle) I find a tailstock?

Steve
Attachments
logan-lathe-B.JPG
BadDog

Re: Logan / Powermatic 2557

Post by BadDog »

They are very decent lathes in the same class as SB, but tend to be "rattly" (noisy). And yes, that is the variable speed control for the reeves drive. It's not as convenient but you can likely manage with thoughtful use of the turret, though you may have to add a slide lock (some don't have one) to keep it in place for use with a live center. And I wouldn't write off finding a tail stock, though it may need fitting depending. But the threaded spindle would be a deal breaker to me. They were frequently found with L00 (I've never seen one with a D spindle), which is worlds better than threaded.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well you say the model is "2557L00H " which means as I understand Logan's info L00 spindle and hardened bed.Have you laid eyes on it to confirm a threaded spindle? I had a 12x24 threaded spindle one and really liked it.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You guys are correct - it IS an L-00!

Steve
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I had a Logan shaper with the reeves drive. If this is the same arrangement Russ is correct, their noisy. I rebushed mine and it was a little better but still noisy,

Greg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote:You guys are correct - it IS an L-00!

Steve
That's obvious, as you can see the locking collar in the image you posted.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Harold_V wrote: That's obvious, as you can see the locking collar in the image you posted.
So it is. I had not noted the obvious significance of the number (and not familiar with Logan numbers to think it would be significant) nor enlarged the photo to see the collar that was visible, but instead just ran with the description.

All said, particularly with hard ways, it might be a very nice (if a bit noisy) lathe, if the price is right. When I bought my Rockwell 11x37, a comparable Logan 12" was available as well. I initially thought I would want the Logan, but running them side by side, my choice was easily made for the Rockwell, though this Logan appears one of the later Powermatic variety and might have changed my mind (who knows).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Really cool lathes in this discussion. Some like the Powermatic 10" were too cool for school.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thought I'd comment on the turret. It's most likely one provided after market, by the now defunct Enco. I own the sister to that turret, which fits my Graziano.

Assuming I'm correct, the front operator side of the turret should have a socket head cap screw that acts as a lock. It's part of the gib setup.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Another thing is that L00 isn't all that uncommon anymore. Last time I looked for L0 (don't ask) there was L00 fairly reasonable. Can't say about that, this week but that is a very nice lathe. I was reading again about Rockwells and they had a similar Reeves drive. It all comes back to what was said. The belts must be balanced, the same. If only one is replaced ...noisey sure. Even when I was in maintenance we replaced belts in pairs or triples depending on the drive. It wasn't the Reeves, it was unequal wear of "matched" belts. It came back to misalignment of the sheaves over time. Then they had to be trued because they were worn different.
So these Logan Powermatics are great lathes in my opinion.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote:Thought I'd comment on the turret. It's most likely one provided after market, by the now defunct Enco. I own the sister to that turret, which fits my Graziano.

Assuming I'm correct, the front operator side of the turret should have a socket head cap screw that acts as a lock. It's part of the gib setup.
The turret on the lathe pretty much matches the one in the catalog, so my guess it is an original part, although it is possible it was made by the same manufacturer as Enco.

Steve
Attachments
LoganTurret.jpg
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I expect that one has a lock. I only recall a few that didn't have some locking feature (not that I pay close attention). My Rockwell 11 had a lock knob. But even those that don't are likely to be easily adapted in the same manner as compounds that don't have a lock. Possibly simply by adding a tool-less screw that locks the gib. But if it's a cast iron gib I think I would find a different approach just out of fear of breaking the brittle cast iron. Perhaps a plug tipped screw on top of a non bearing machined surface?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper