Allen Models 0-4-0 Build- MS&S #14

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

318J

Allen Models 0-4-0 Build- MS&S #14

Post by 318J »

I guess now that I have the drawings in hand, it is official. I am building the Allen 0-4-0/ Marty Knox 0-4-0 as my first locomotive!

Pretty exciting stuff, these drawings are great! Much larger than I expected.

I also have wind deflectors from Precision Steel Car, something to work on when I don't have access to a machine shop to work on the other stuff. I'm planning on the cab being wood, so I can build it in my basement wood shop.

Now to get the parts and castings for the frame and really get started!
Attachments
SAM_3195.JPG
SAM_3196.JPG
PSC Wind Deflectors
PSC Wind Deflectors
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
Marty_Knox

Re: Allen Models 0-4-0 Build- MS&S #14

Post by Marty_Knox »

Neil Knopf did the CAD drawings from my pencil sketches, and did a great job! Thank you, Neil!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wind deflectors for the 0-4-0? Sounds entertaining.
I look forward to following your build.
~RN
318J

Post by 318J »

I've seen wind deflectors on many other switchers, so I figured, why not?
-Sam
NP317

Post by NP317 »

318J wrote:I've seen wind deflectors on many other switchers, so I figured, why not?
I totally agree!
That's one of the joys of building. We can make it exactly as we wish.
I was just visualizing an 0-4-0 doing 60 mph...
Funny vision.
~RN
318J

Post by 318J »

A New Year starts with new parts! Today I received the first real castings for the 0-4-0; the frame spreader, yoke support, and drawbar pocket. These will hopefully be something nice and easy to get my feet wet in machining.
FP.jpg
I also completed the wind deflectors, after some doing, they fit together nice enough. A quick paint job and clear gloss coat later, here they are.
WD.jpg
I'm buying these castings a few at a time, as I can afford them; a part time job, welding school, and highschool don't leave much room for live steam!

For the interested, you can see updates on my build on facebook under "Meramec Locomotive Works"
https://www.facebook.com/merameclocomotiveworks/
-Sam
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Hi to all

The new 0-4-0 kit is available and soon we will have the Laser one piece frames too. Price for the kit $3500.00 Sale price for up until May 28 2017 with $150.00 plan set of 35 drawings. Normal price is $3694.00 plus plans. Shipping will range but in the $250.00 area. All parts in stock. Discount value is $344.00 or around 10% off. This set is a one buy special not to be sold in sections. 10 boxes of castings. Includes all section as show on the web site. This will come with all the heave cast Iron new castings. Boiler is available from Ridge Locomotive Works. Send check payment or use the web site to place the order. Contact me first as the site will not adjust the correct discount prices.

Laser cut Frames about a month out. Price on frame most likely be $250.00 plus shipping.

Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada,LLC
775-782-3800 or www.allenmodels.com
318J

Post by 318J »

Okay, it's been long enough without an update!

Today marked the end of major work in the fabrication of the tender tank! Just a few more details need to be added before I fiberglass the interior and paint it. I started this project in early February, when I discused building it with my welding instructor. He agreed to let me use class time to work on it, so long as I documented the process. I learned so much with this, as it was my first major welding fabrication, I had to learn to work around several aspects, including warpage and thermal expansion as I welded. As a result, it didn't come out pefectly square, or exactly as my drawings depicted. But I enjoyed the process thoroughly, and I think it turned out decent enough.

It started with my drawings, taking inspiration from the tender of Scullin Steel #95
3695_rear_STLMOT.jpg
Untitled drawing.jpg
After presenting these to my welding intructor, he gave the go-ahead once I aquired my materials. A quick search revealed the amount of stainless I would need would cost $300, so I sought cheaper options. For any students who are thinking of starting their own build, there are cheap ways to do it! I found that tables left for scrap and the school scrap bin would provide ample material, even though it wasn't stainless, it was free!

I found two tables in the scrap pile, and began to plasma cut the pieces I needed.
table1.jpg
table2.jpg
Next came removing the paint, by far the most miserable part of this project so far. Hours and Hours or scraping, sanding, and wire-wheeling. But when I was finished, I was ready to start welding my flat pieces together.
The bottom and one side of the tank with the paint finally removed.
The bottom and one side of the tank with the paint finally removed.
I tacked everything in place with TIG, which allowed me to position parts with both my hands, while initiating the arc with a foot pedal. Once in place, I MIG welded the parts together. This was rather tricky at times, as the sheets I used were only 1/32'' thick. The thinness would also cause me lots of grief with warpage.

(Part two coming, aparantly I can only have 5 photos per post)
-Sam
318J

Post by 318J »

tack1.jpg
tack2.jpg
tack3.jpg
tack4.jpg
Slowly, it started to come together, and then, before I knew it, I had myself a major part of the 0-4-0.
-Sam
318J

Post by 318J »

tank1.jpg
The warped botton sheet after welding the coal bunker in was concerning me to no end, so I improvised gussets into the design to prevent the side sheets from coming out of square. The side sheets themselves would prevent the tank bottom from warping, or so I thought.
tank2.jpg
While I was tacking the coal bunker sheets in place, I decided to shorten the length of the bunker from 16'' to 12''. Of course, in my infinite wisdom, I had already cut the 16'' space in the top sheet!
tank3.jpg
Next I added the coal bunker extension, a baffle, and some angle iron to support the top sheet and myself when I sat on it.
-Sam
318J

Post by 318J »

Now came the final part, fitting the top sheet.

The designed width was supposed to be 14'', however I discovered that the side sheets had warped inwards, so that the actual width at the top varied from 13 1/2'' to 13 7/8''. To put it simply, the top sheet did not fit. After making paper-thin slices with a shear, and checking the fit, then repeating several dozen times, I got the top to fit well enough. At this point I also welded in the patch for the space that was too large.

After all this work, I sanded the whole tank in preparation for a coat of primer. This was the final product when I left the shop this morning:
tanks.jpg
tanks1.jpg
There is still a little bit of work to do, including sanding and grinding the patch in the top sheet to make it blend a little bit better. I will also weld in some slats to form the coal gate. The next step will be to take it home, add rivet detail, ect, fiberblass the inside of the tank, and then (finally) paint. I hope to have a finished tender on wheels by the end of the summer.

Overall, the most interesting part of this project was explaining to classmates what I was building, and why. They seemed genuinely interested in my progress, although a bit cconfused as to why I was building "a train".

If you're not afraid to scrounge for scrap, material costs can be next to nothing.

Slowly but surely, I'm getting there!
-Sam
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Well Done!
Many builders new to this hobby build the locomotive first, and then discover they can't even test run it until a tender is available.
This is one time when you WANT the Cart Before The Horse!
Excellent practice for the rest.
~RN