Diesel-Electric Models

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DanSmo

Re: Diesel-Electric Models

Post by DanSmo »

Andrew the locos in the photos are built to approximately 1:6. I don't know why us Australians have a need to sit in our locos, personally I think its a bit silly to build over scale and put a hole in a loco for the driver, but each to their own.

If I were to build a 1.5" (1:8) scale diesel I would be looking at some of the small Suzuki 3cyl motors such as the G10. With some clever modifications such as a custom fabricated intake and exhaust manifolds, relocated starter, alternator, oil filter and water pump. That motor might just fit in the body of a hood unit...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
I just don't understand pronouncing solder as "sodder"... where did the L go?
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

In the early 60's, there was a guy from the states (Wisconsin?) who built a 3/4" scale diesel like locomotive. It had a 4 cylinder Wahl engine driving an automobile generator which powered another generator as a motor which was connected through a drive shaft to the trucks. There is film of said locomotive running at MLS. Contacting the club might get results.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Andrew the locos in the photos are built to approximately 1:6. I don't know why us Australians have a need to sit in our locos, personally I think its a bit silly to build over scale and put a hole in a loco for the driver, but each to their own

Actually I think it would be neat to build a narrow gauge diesel used in Latin America. You could sit in it and still be scale..........

John B
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

DanSmo wrote:If I were to build a 1.5" (1:8) scale diesel I would be looking at some of the small Suzuki 3cyl motors such as the G10.
Instead of your locomotive sounding like a lawnmower it would sound like a bumblebee. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D