My first caboose build

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

Re: My first caboose build

Post by Steggy »

OddDuck wrote:Thanks BDD, hopefully my hamfisted paint job will cover my woodworking sins, there always seems to be one piece that gets cracked just as you finished with it, and the glue is setting and it's too late to take it off.
Happens in metalworking as well, except fixing the boo-boos is a bit more difficult. :D However, as Pierre L'Bougér, the French race car mechanic noted, paint can hide a thousand sins. :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Since I am tech challenged, I am going to post the link to my facebook post for an update pic. Got the windows done (finally...) after a couple of weeks of off again, on again shop time. Next will be the frame and undercarriage.
https://www.facebook.com/odfoundry/phot ... 54/?type=3
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

"Eyebrow" windows, yes, but very much what an old shortline bobber from the late 1890's might look like, especially when resold to a backwoods or industrial-rural line. You might consider doing the roof material next, to get those wood screws under cover.
What are you going to to use for frame material?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Oak, I'm not going to finish the roof quite yet, I've got to roll it over and I don't want to bang it up. Once the underneath is done I'll probably take care of that.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I got the frames mostly cut today, I'll post pics tomorrow with some details.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

As promised, pics of the frame. It's made of 1 1/2"x3/4" oak. I didn't take pics of the end sills, they are still in progress. I had to inlet the back to allow for the pedestals to sit on the frame correctly. It was an easy job, I used my little horizontal mill. I am going to bevel the ends of the cross pieces, next couple of days.
Attachments
20170309_144631.jpg
20170309_144649.jpg
20170309_144657.jpg
20170309_144726.jpg
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Nice work, looking good!!
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

The frame is done and attached, complete with end beams.
Attachments
20170311_190431.jpg
20170311_190422.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Progress pics, been a few weeks. The wires between the leaf springs and the other parts were only for the pictures, I still have to make the links, haven't quite figured those out yet.
Attachments
20170329_145117.jpg
20170329_145133.jpg
20170329_145144.jpg
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

That arrangement is quite sophisticated and a bit complex! I really like it! Going to be a nice car at events.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Got it complete enough to display in public, took it to the Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Society train show in Bartlett NH this past weekend. Ran out of time for the small details, but I got the spring rigging mostly done. I also have a bunch of signs that I will be posting in the sale section in the next few days.
Attachments
IMAG0215.jpg
IMAG0216.jpg
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Hello OddDuck, are your castings green sand or are you using a different technique? I'm planning to pour some detailed and rather small parts, and I'm leaning towards casting them in sand core molds. I don't do investment casting and I see you turn out some nice castings in what appears to be some type of sand mold, care to share your secret? Thanks, John