Ridge Locomotive Works is now Ridge Boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Ridge Locomotive Works is now Ridge Boiler

Post by Marty_Knox »

With the number of boilers I have built closing in on 300, and the number of locomotives only at 17, I am changing the business name to better reflect reality. The website has always been RidgeBoiler.com, since it is easier to type boiler than locomotive. I have now filed the paperwork to legally use the name Ridge Boiler.
Attachments
009.JPG
JKreider

Re: Ridge Locomotive Works is now Ridge Boiler

Post by JKreider »

300 boilers! You have made a very significant contribution to the hobby Marty.

Jim Kreider
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Thanks, Jim. It does seem like a lot, doesn't it? But I have been doing this since 1978, so that works out to an average of 10 a year.
Some years there were 20+, others zero. But I have been doing it full time since I retired from the Huckleberry Railroad ten years ago.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Marty_Knox wrote:Thanks, Jim. It does seem like a lot, doesn't it? But I have been doing this since 1978, so that works out to an average of 10 a year.
Some years there were 20+, others zero. But I have been doing it full time since I retired from the Huckleberry Railroad ten years ago.
I should check my math before I post. The average is only 7 1/2 a year.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

17 locos is a fine achievement Marty, I would guess I would not need to take off my shoes to count the people that have made that many.
John Brock
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Marty_Knox wrote:With the number of boilers I have built closing in on 300...
That is a whole lot of steam! :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Marty_Knox wrote:With the number of boilers I have built closing in on 300...
That is a whole lot of steam! :D
Well, I wouldn't want to get that water bill after all those hydros!
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

300 boiler and 17 Locomotives..... I'd be happy if I finish 1 boiler for my 1 locomotive!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Well, Brian, a lot of those locomotives were started by other people. Some I bought, finished and sold; one I bought, sold, and then finished. For 4 years in the 80's, and the last ten years it has been full time for me. I have had a number of employees over the years. My welder, Glenn Grasley, has been full time for over four years now.
Sandy Ridge No. 10 was started by Dave Griner, I bought it when he moved to Strasburg. When I moved to Texas I sold it to Keith Muldowney, then bought it back once I was in Michigan. Jack Ozanich saw it at the Huckleberry RR shop, we made a deal and I finished it for him.
Attachments
srcl10.jpg
Twombo

Post by Twombo »

Marty, At one time, I recall, that you did copper boilers. Is that forever in the past? I have a flanged kit for a 2 1/2" marie Estelle that I am looking to have completed. If you do copper or know someone one this side of the pond, I would be grateful!
Mike
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Mike, I have done 8 all copper boilers, the last one as a a favor to a friend. I can still do them, but only on a time and materials basis. This often ends up being a lot more expensive than a steel boiler.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Well great Marty now I got to thou out all those business cards of yours. Just great. Send me the new ones, that is you what me to suggest you to others.
Marty I think this is a smart move. The name tell it all Rigged boiler, or some thing like that. Funny how a name sticks. You will still be pick up the phone and call it by the old name. I think I will call to see. ha. Your a great Man in the hobby and a friend in deed. and not dead. So lets see if you can get to 600 boilers. I dare you. Double dare you.
Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada
Just trying to follow you and Gene's lead. Thank You Marty.