Please,talk me out of buying this Hendey Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Please,talk me out of buying this Hendey Lathe

Post by SteveM »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Also I need to be talked out buying it.
Far be it from me to get between a man and his toys.

It looks like it has a steady rest, follower rest, taper attachment, two chucks.

The owner even put degree marks on the chuck backplate for indexing.

The restoration looks well done - not the typical paint slathered all over parts that should not be painted. This machine was dismantled and repainted.

Compound has been repaired, but looks like a good job.

If you actually NEED to remove a lot of metal from large parts, you could do a LOT worse.

Steve
jcarmon

Post by jcarmon »

I just checked out the auction site. If the name of the game is "he with the most at death wins", the games over. This guy must have been 114 years old, and won the lottery at some point. All he really needed was a bigger shop. These tools don't need to go to a museum, they've been in a museum.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

They just released pricing-$12,500 for the lathe. Iam astonished.

Here's the email:

The drills are included along with the other chucks, cutters etc. there's a lot that goes with it. It's not an auction, we take cash and cards. We realeased the price of the lathe yesterday - $ 12,500 OBO. I've have numerous people look at it, plus a guy in London that specializes in them and he's been buying and selling vintage lathes for 40+ years and he's never seen one like this in this immaculate condition, plus the motor attachment.

Rob
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Glenn Brooks wrote:They just released pricing-$12,500 for the lathe. Iam astonished.

Here's the email:

The drills are included along with the other chucks, cutters etc. there's a lot that goes with it. It's not an auction, we take cash and cards. We realeased the price of the lathe yesterday - $ 12,500 OBO. I've have numerous people look at it, plus a guy in London that specializes in them and he's been buying and selling vintage lathes for 40+ years and he's never seen one like this in this immaculate condition, plus the motor attachment.

Rob
Who needs a good used Monarch 10EE when you can get one of those!

Steve
jcarmon

Post by jcarmon »

Here's the problem, Its worth it, but who can afford to sink that kind of money into a lathe that isn't going to be used in a production environment. Its a tool. A tool is suppose to make you money. Maybe some museum will turn up to claim it. If they do, I'd pay 5 bucks to see a museum that saves pieces like it. Would be a good place to spend the day with kids. Learning about how real artist turn rusty iron into polished pieces of magnificence.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes indeed. Iam tempted to go stand in line just to see what these big iron machines actually looked like back in 1930.

Although the estate sales guy hasn't actually inventoried anything, the pictures on line show bits and pieces of two or three other lathes, and a camel back DP in the background, all apparently restored, and pristine. I can't imagine anyone paying 12k for a large Hendey, regardless of condition. But likely there is someone with a Microsoft stock plan waiting with baited breath, to whom this will be a must have collectors item. More power to the old timer if he can pull it off, I guess.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

jcarmon wrote:Here's the problem, Its worth it, but who can afford to sink that kind of money into a lathe that isn't going to be used in a production environment.
That machine and a production environment have little to do with one another. Even modern day engine lathes have little use in production these days. To assume it would be purchased with that in mind makes no sense, as a threaded spindle, cone drive flat belt lathe, built for, at best, HSS, is useless in today's shop. It won't take a serious cut, and doesn't have the desired speed and power for modern tooling. That isn't to suggest that it wouldn't be nice to own for the home shop, but if it was intended to be used for serious machining, it would be woefully lacking in today's shop.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I agree with Harold, production shops around the PNW all use Automated CNC machines. Manual machinists are long gone, gone, gone from volume production work, EXCEPT for specialty shops and small,one man job shops. I could see this Lathe being used in some kind of one off maintenance and repair shop, like we used to see in commercial marine shipyards and around the now long gone PNW lumber milling plants or fish canneries in Alaska. With great respect for Harold, Iam sure this lathe can actually peel 1/4" strips of chips off large diameter stock - although have no idea who would need that kind of work done anymore.

Probably somebody like Keith Rucker who maintains a tourist railroad with a bunch of restored steam engines. To bad there is nothing like that here in the PNW.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Brooks wrote: With great respect for Harold, Iam sure this lathe can actually peel 1/4" strips of chips off large diameter stock - although have no idea who would need that kind of work done anymore.
I agree. It could, but in order to do so it would require lower gearing, which is a huge part of why it wouldn't cut it in today's environment, where time is money. Lower surface speeds, to increase torque, and, maybe, decreased feed rate. Each of which add greatly to the time it takes when taking serious cuts----cuts that would likely be competing with modern CNC equipment.
Do keep in mind, machines like this were built when carbon steel cutting tools were very much in use. They demand slower spindle speeds. Performance with lower horse power motors was acceptable, due to the gearing involved. Speeding up a lathe like this without changing the motor would not allow for even high speed operations at reasonable depths of cut and feed rates.

It's a sad commentary, but the harsh reality is that such machines are in the same boat as shapers. Nice, neat to see and watch, but not even remotely competitive in today's market. Great for the home shop, though.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jcarmon

Post by jcarmon »

I just don't understand how anyone can drop 12k dollars, on a machine that will never earn its keep. I like old iron more than most, primarily because I'm so young, and learned CNC first. But a machine that cant pay for itself, Is not a tool, Its a toy, and 12k is to much for a toy. If it was relegated to a museum, It may take another two hundred years, but It would pay for itself in admission tickets sales eventually. Maybe that's its purpose now. Will just have to see who gets it, and what they have in store for it. Personally, Id love to see it in state fair display, making parts for 100 year old farm equipment still in use. Even if for educational purposes only. People don't know how things are made anymore. Everything is plastic. This single piece could open someones eyes someday, and spark an idea that we could never have.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Price now listed at $10,000. Didn't sell today. Wonder what happens tomorrow afternoon. They close the doors at 3pm.

Edit: Sunday afternoon - just came back from the sale. Lathe and Hendey floor model (21" Iam guessing) camel back drill press are in immaculate condition. It's worse than I thought. They look new, and in showroom condition. Havent sold. So the family will look at any and all offers.

Here's some photos. :shock:
1929 Hendey Lathe
1929 Hendey Lathe
IMG_3253.JPG
IMG_3254.JPG
IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG

Glenn

ccfl

Post by ccfl »

Does it come with a coal bunker and boiler, or do you have to buy those separate? :oops:
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain