Anybody need Canadian blueprints?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

thunderskunk

Anybody need Canadian blueprints?

Post by thunderskunk »

Hey guys, somewhat new to the forum.

I'm going to be doing a build of the CPR G5 Class, a 1200 series. I'm broker than broke, so I'm taking a trip up to Exorail in Québec to look through their archives for prints. If anybody's looking for something that might be in their pile, let me know and I'll poke around for you. Their archivist is a wonderful woman, but you can either pay her 40 bucks an hour or take a vacation to a train museum and DIY.

Do you guys do intro posts or something? The DLS forums are all but dead, so I feel I'm gonna get to know you guys real well real soon here.

Matt
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
Carrdo

Re: Anybody need Canadian blueprints?

Post by Carrdo »

I s that the Exporail museum in Delson, Quebec just outside of Montreal?

I understand they only have the CNR blueprints and nothing relating to the CPR blueprints which are all in the science and technology museum in Ottawa.

Good luck with trying to hunt for the drawings yourself. Did they recently have a change of heart as when I tried to do this a couple of years ago, it was no way! You had to pay them big $$, just to do a search with no results promised at all.

I would get them to confirm this before you take the time and expense to travel to Montreal.

If you do get there, I am interested in the detailed blueprints for the CNR U4a 6400 streamlined Northern and CNR 5700 series Hudson locomotives. I have a detailed list which I left with them years ago and nothing.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Another thought- have you given Rapido trains a yell? While their plan is to release one in 2020 (rough plan only !), they may have advice as to who has drawings. ( http://rapidotrains.com/iocs-future-releases/ ). Jason has some idea about larger scale steam/gas turbines :).

James
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

I would like drawings for the CP Selkirk 2-10-4 , if you could enquire .
thanks
Chris
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

If you haven't visited Exporail, in Delson, you are missing a fabulous collection of maintained and stored locomotives. Ottawa is likewise, fantastic. Go if only because you love steam locomotives. You probably know that 1201 is at Ottawa, where she was rebuilt, so they probably have all her drawings.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

Honestly, I did not know where and what the 1201 was, and now I do (thank you, btw). I've found a few hundred construction and maintenance photos of it, which helps.

I got a hold of Ingenium, which is their new name for the Canada Museum of Science and Technology. They've got a list several pages long of parts drawings, just not much in terms of erection diagrams and linkage prints. We're planning to stop in both Exporail and Ingenium for research visits come October, so we'll see what we find.

It's kind of funny. Four organizations own these locomotives other than the 1201. When I asked them about drawings, most of there replies were along the lines of, "We don't have them, but let us know if you find any!" I think I've made a few friends.

I'll have a look for the CP Selkirk and CN 5700 and 6400.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello Thunderskunk,

I'd be interested in a profile drawing of a 4-4-4 Jubile, if you run into such a thing. Apparently the Railway Museum in Delson has an actual Jubilee on display. These were similar to Atlantic 4-4-2's that Canadian Pacific built in the late 20's or early 30's up thru WW II. Apparently they had quite a run as a streamlined, light passenger train in Canada. Another engine ended up down in Topeaka at the end of its life, where it was modeled as a coal buner in 2" scale by a hobby machinist/pharmacist, who used to walk across the tracks from his drug store to take measurements then make parts in the back of his pharmacy when he had no customers, in the early 1950's. I acquired the loco some years latter and owned it for many years. Great little engine. Be great to have a drawing or two to mull over building a model in 12" gauge.

Thanks much.
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Glenn, there is a Jubilee in 7.5", lives in Vancouver at BCSME. Was built by Ernie Allen.

There are 2 types of them, F2 and F2a, and are quite different between- one is driven on leading axle, one on trailing. They hold the offical North American steam speed record at 112.5 mph- and before someone says the Pennsy holds it, that was with a dyno car in the train, not a loco speedo...

James
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks James, good to know. I would like to go visit BCSME one of these days, see the loco.

I think my old loco was F2a type, with rear drivers. Also, it wasn't streamlined, but it could pull 25 people easy enuf. I suspect many more, but I only had 4 four cars. Sorry I sold it now!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

Hey folks,

What an adventure! Made my way up to the Ingenium archives today, and I'll tell you they could not be more accommodating. I had an archive assistant personally helping me look up and sift through the drawings by number based on an original prints list by CPR. All very well organized, and still took 6 hours to look through. Then the director took me over to two of their three warehouses to see the 1201 itself and tour the rest of the facilities. It's like a museum through a fire hose.

The only cost to me will be ordering the erection diagrams, which is only because they send them out to be scanned and copied. They are truly service oriented folks and love it when people take an interest in what they work with. I got something like 400 pictures of parts drawings and even more of the prototype engine. I highly recommend a visit for anyone with a free weekday they plan to spend in Ottawa.

Carrdo, yes they do have the 6400 drawings, and they've just put that locomotive on display in the museum which opens in November. There is an erection diagram which I personally did not find, but the attendant says she's sure it's around. PM me if you're interested in ordering the prints, or next time I go up there I'll just snag a picture of it. She was fairly sure she didn't have any of the 5700 though. I sifted through the J-size drawings for the F2 and F2A and didn't see anything, but again, she's going to poke around the database to see what she can find.