2-4-4-2 drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BClemens

2-4-4-2 drawings

Post by BClemens »

Searched everywhere (I believe...) for drawings for an articulated 2-4-4-2 similar to LRRR 126 or 148. Anyone know where they could be acquired? Looks like the LRRR museum is inactive...

BC
Doug_Edwards

Re: 2-4-4-2 drawings

Post by Doug_Edwards »

You can find a drawing of the #126 in the March 1962 issue of Model Railroad magazine on page 48. I asked years ago what J. Harold Giesel used for data, and never found out. For a model drawing, it is very good and shows detail that could not be known with out some very good data.

The 126 is under restoration at the Oregon Coast Scenic RR in Tillamook, Oregon.

Regards,

Doug
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Doug_Edwards wrote:

The 126 is under restoration at the Oregon Coast Scenic RR in Tillamook, Oregon.

Doug
Those photos of the restoration and the other few of the remnent photos of it are what have inspired interest to build one.

Thanks for the info!

BC

I found that issue of 'Model Railroader' on eBay - thanks again!
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Hi

I have a scan of a paster card showing the side elevation of a BLW 2-4-4-2 with the same bore & stroke and driver diameter as the LRRR 126.

If interested please contact me off group at

mark_landgraf at yahoo dot com
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Jim Culver at Chippawawa has a 2-4-4-2. Found it in Colorado. We both think it came from LALS area, built in the late 50's-60's. Here is what I have found from Ed Zeis at LALS:

Chris if it is the engine I am thinking about it was built in 1961 by Marshall Black
And the engine was based on The Little Rivers 2-4-4-2. The maybe some other LALS members
From that time may know something about that. If it is that engine I have not seen it in at least 40 years.
Hope this can help you and your friend.

Ed Zeis
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

What would really be great is to build this in 2 1/2" scale NG. Mexico had several.

John B
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

FLSTEAM wrote:What would really be great is to build this in 2 1/2" scale NG. Mexico had several.

John B
Yes it would! Seems the NG engines are even harder yet to get information on. I'm wondering if the museum at Strasburg would have some Baldwin LW data on those engines. The Broadbelt Collection of Baldwin is now there. Might pay to spend a little time there - visit LE just up the road at the same time... I found and ordered the Model Railroader issue that has drawings (1962) and that draftsman had to get data on that (LRRR126) engine somewhere to do the detailed drawing that he did back then.

The 2-4-4-2 would be a good little/big locomotive for a shortline backyard RR. Two kits of the 0-4-0 would do the trick for a mallet. Fitchburg Northern rear cylinders and Allen mogul front cylinders.

BC
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I know of two running and both had problems running compound. For sure one runs simplex and the other one might also.

John B.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

FLSTEAM wrote:I know of two running and both had problems running compound. For sure one runs simplex and the other one might also.

John B.
John B., Do you know what the issue was that compounding failed? Was it a throttling issue - like starting under load? You probably already know where I'm going with this.... The original had a simplexing valve (complex 'little' device) that on starting would steam up the front low pressure cylinders too. I haven't looked into this too much so don't know much about it but I've seen some drawings for that valve.

The loss of compounding would be disheartening to say the least. Those two gigantic cylinders up front is what makes an articulated locomotive.... in my eyes..

BC

The photo was basically ripped out of a video and I hope the originator doesn't mind - the locomotive was not the subject of the video - except to me. That engine would be pulling all the hopper cars that I could possibly afford - and it would pull....!!!
Attachments
Basic majestic looking mallet of old times.
Basic majestic looking mallet of old times.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

The problem with compounding is taking a bath from wet exhaust. Super heaters are a whole other problem.

John B.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Look what just showed up on Facebook

Tim
Attachments
21125678_10155674534618103_5096252334351592397_o.jpg
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice to see the restoration progress on the original Skookum.
I "grew up" around its pieces at the old Snoqualmie Railroad site, during the 1970s-80s.
I was told by The Old-timers. that the original suffered from saturated steam and compound cylinders. Insufficient heat to the front engine.
And Baldwin did not repeat that 2-4-4-2 design after the first 2 (or more?) were constructed.

That's likely why later logging true-Mallets (2-6-6-2) had superheat. I've engineered two of them, and done two boiler rebuilds on one.
Hopefully someone can add more to these observations.
~RN