Roll Former

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Roy

Roll Former

Post by Roy »

Hard to believe this area has yet to have a post, so I'll make a go of it. I would like to build a roll former. Any one have any input as to making one up? Any plans around? I don't anticipate having to roll anythng much above perhaps 14 ga, and no wider than 24 inches, so do you think rollers fabricated from heavy wall pipe/ tube would be sufficient? I have a bunch of nice gears from inside hydraulic pumps and motors that I would like to use for the roller drive gears. Also have some nice rollers from a treamill with pretty heavy walls, and they are already turned and trued up.
Tom_Stamford_CT

Re: Roll Former

Post by Tom_Stamford_CT »

Hi Roy
In my experiance with roll forming first you need to have the final part in mind then build the rolls accordingly. The are sort of a one shape to a set deal. Kinda like a seemles gutter machine. Years ago we set up a few lines that had a punch press and a roll former what they were making was the metal rings inside the airway buffing wheel. Another one we did work on made the grid for suspended ceilings and we did a few that make the bodys for flourescent lights. I find it interesting that alot of parts are formed with pre-painted metal.

Tom
Scott

Post by Scott »

Roy,you watch Jacin will have this thing rooling in no time.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I tried to edit but it posted instead.I meant rolling!
Tel

Post by Tel »

for 24" wide you will almost certainly need solid rollers. There are a few designs around, but I built my 10" set 'as I went along' - adding & subtracting bits 'til it worked OK..
Tel
Tel

Post by Tel »

the attached is a (pretty ordinary) shot of 'em
Tel
Roy

Post by Roy »

I take it from what I can see in the picture that the center roller (top roller)is the only roller that is adjustable? Its just next to impossible to make a ring that resembles a circle without one of these things. Has anyone seen the open face ring former made by SHop Outfitters? Pretty simple and looks like it could easily be reverse engineered. They also have apretty nice former for larger stuff with about a 30 to 36" wheel to apply the force to do the forming. It uses a hydraulic jack to apply pressure to the adjustable roller.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Is there a way to enlarge the photo posted?
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Jim_King

Post by Jim_King »

Steve, clic on the " blue attachment" in the title heading.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Ooops, posted in the wrong place.

Thanks Jim, that works but the DOW drum is still upside down :-)
Jacin

Did someone say SHEET METAL???

Post by Jacin »

Sign me up!!!! (Scott's got my number [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] )

Roy might I suggest that you consider your desired goals first.
For instance I ahve wanted a set of sheet metal rolls for along time and was geting close to either making some of finding some whichever - Problem is that I previously built an English wheel - the beauty in a "wheel" is that it can be adapted to so many things. For instance I wanted a set of "rolls" t do floor pan tunnels - but now with a English wheel I can use it to do those tunnels instead. I simply toss on a hunk of rubber tubing over my upper wheel and "fold" the metal by running it through the wheels. The rubber "gives" allowing me to make a rolled part of indefinite length. Way cool (not my invention) - by using different diameter lower anvils you can make a variety of radii. The "wheel" is a VERY adaptable tool. It would be an excellent addition to any aspiring metalshaper.

Of course if your wanting to roll much thicker pieces you might have to get a bit creative. In my case I am planning a "dual" lower wheel holder to do such stuff. Since a wheel is a "C" shape there is a LIMIT on capacity - but heck you could make a outrigger support and eliminate that hurdle as well - need be.

Just some food for thought - I'd still take a set of rolls - but they'd HAVE to be awful cheap [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] as I can get by without them far easier now!
Steve_in_Mich

Jacin, about that table

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Is that a vice I see that can swing up and somehow be locked in position for use above table top?