Boiler Design and Material Selection

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jacob's dad

Re: Boiler Design and Material Selection

Post by Jacob's dad »

Is the preferred choice in copper for tubes type L or type K. I have seen both used.

Thank you,

Jeff Smith
Florida
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Can't speak for those with experience, but if it was my call, no question, it would be K. Greater wall thickness, thus a prolonged lifespan.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Jacob's dad wrote:Is the preferred choice in copper for tubes type L or type K. I have seen both used.

Thank you,

Jeff Smith
Florida
I have used the K, except when a customer insisted on the L. Sometimes I use even heavier wall. For a 3/4" OD tube the 5/8" K is 3/4" OD with a .049" wall. You can get 3/4" OD tube with a .065" wall, to specification B75. It is more expensive, and generally not available from wholesale plumbing outlets. I get it from Copper & Brass Sales.
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Sorry but could not help myself. As far as the Mig welding goes as a certified welder if your company (Pressure Vessel Stamp) can come up with a welding procedure in what ever position, you need the weld done in and a certified welder can certify the procedure and the local authority verifies it then you are good to go. Lets face it there is a certain 12" to the foot 4-8-4 not built by Baldwin or Alco, that has sections of the firebox Migged. I have never used Mig on a firebox, but see no reason with the proper procedure that it would not work. Most states want a Xray of the parts they cant see. They did ask for that by the way on the Baldwin 4-8-4. I'm of the belief that lack of Boiler treatment of the 12 to foot engines is one of the biggest problem out there, and from the Hobby end seems to be the same. Inside a certain 4-8-4 boiler with over a million miles (and 36 old) there was no visible corrosion then. It was a small company and took pride in their engines even to the end.
Clint
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I just love a ping-pong thread that doesn't need me in the middle to keep it going.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

I miss trainman... learned a lot when folks would back and forth, Could we start a thread where we mig stainless steel and put x piping on it?
I will now go back into hiding.
I did over the past few weeks make progress on my 4-6-2 frame and running gear (with great machine work BC), that I bought back when, so was feeling my oats. I only broke two 1/2" end mills.this time?
By the way do we know if 844 firebox was Miged or not?

I do love the Chaski hope I get to stay?

Clint
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SP&S700 wrote:By the way do we know if 844 firebox was Miged or not?
Hmmm. Are we to assume you mean when it was built? If so, I'd say likely not, as that process was likely not widely in use at that point in time. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
I do love the Chaski hope I get to stay?
Unless you're really not good at behaving, there's little reason to question if you stay, or not. It is exceedingly rare for a reader to be banned on this board, as most willingly comply with our simple rules, as the end result is a pleasant experience for everyone.

No religious discussions.
No political discussions.
No vulgarity or profanity. (If a reader insists on breaking this one, I'm not above embarrassing him/her publicly if necessary)
No flaming.

Continue to enjoy your visits here. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Gosh darn, you mean I cannot talk about how happy I am to be over 65 and not in the grips of o-bam-a care any longer?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote:Gosh darn, you mean I cannot talk about how happy I am to be over 65 and not in the grips of o-bam-a care any longer?
Correct!
In fact, the penalty for doing so would be life in front of the firing squad! :twisted:

Now, if one were to drop the mention of the o-bam-a care, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

H
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ISN'T O-BAMA-NO-CARE already LIFE in front of the firing squad
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Mentioning the current CIC will certianly result in a banishment.....? Oh crap - went too far.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

now now.....