1.5" coupler suppliers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cbrew

Re: 1.5" coupler suppliers

Post by cbrew »

Spiner wrote:I can say that in my experience Tom Bees couplers not only have a beautiful finish they are a very high quality iron. I had to machine the shank to match an existing coupler pocket on my tender and had a difficult time machining it with a Carbide Indexable End Mill. I was very suprised at how hard the iron was.
Really, My couplers machined beautifully.
I ordered them with out the vertical bolt hole because i was using fraction draft gear on my Fire car.
Very nice couplers... I will be buying more as i build more cars
Coupler_sm.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
DaveD

Coupler height

Post by DaveD »

OK. Fender loaned me a front coupler (Thanks, Dan!) so I can defer the decision about which coupler to buy. Now another problem...

Everything I read here and other places states that the coupler center height for 7.5" rail should be at 1.5" scale, or 4-5/16" (4.313) above the rail (34.5 divided by 8 ). My P7 is a 1.6" scale--divide by 7.5333 to be exact, which would set the height at 4.580 inches. I have a scaled prototype coupler pocket, and it looks like the one in the attached photo of the President Washington, the B&O P7 I am building to. This pocket is a standard B&O part that was used on many of their locomotives, so you will notice in the photo that it is mounted low on the bumper, and the three attachment studs on each side do not use the standard hole boss locations. It's like that for real and in my prototype blueprints. Well, the difference between 1.5" scale height and 1.6" scale height comes out to 0.267 inches, which puts the pocket wayyyyy down on the bumper. Picture the distance, in the photo, between the top of the coupler and the top of the bumper as 0.300, and where it needs to be for 1.5" scale at 0.567, or nearly double, and you will see what my problem is (or maybe you don't see a problem).

Photos I have of one of Bruce Hamilton's P7s show the coupler at at or around 0.300, so either the standards were different for 1.6 scale (or didn't exist) in the 1970s when he built it, or he just put the coupler at the wrong height. And I can see in photos of his locos that he didn't alter the pocket to lower the coupler. In any case, both of his locomotives have been running like that for nearly 40 years, and I haven't heard anyone complain.

So how much can I fudge the height of the front coupler without having a problem? Half the difference (.130 or so)? How precisely are the couplers lined up on average out there in the live steam world (I don't get out much to see for myself :cry: ). I want to get this where I need to before I start drilling holes, which I was planning to do today. BTW, I'm measuring at running weight, and it's sitting at design height. I don't expect my springs to sag a lot but if they do, I can run the coupler up in the pocket. I can't run it down.

Advice? Thanks
Attachments
B&O President Washington front end
B&O President Washington front end
Dave Dalton
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

everyone i have in my circles seem to use 4.375 center line of the coupler to rail head

with a raw coupler shank, one can adjust the coupler height a lot but the machining reliefs in the shank and using shims as needed.
In reality, the couplers have to be out of alignment a lot for this be and issue.

just me 2 cents
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Trainman4602 wrote:I have the short shank version patterns at the foundry now. They should be ready some time at the end of march

I won't mention the price on this forum but I can guarantee that no one will beat my price on them.

I have the cast iron front mount pocket as well.

BTW I will be re introducing the top lift kit as well as the bottom opening kit.
This is exactly what I am needing for the front of my switcher I am building. Are these currently available?
Danny.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I plan on making more couplers both the short shank and loop shank version.

It all depends on how many want the original Mercer Coupler (over 10,000 pair sold world wide)

I could start a list now
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

I could use a few, 2, 4, 6, whatever would help to get them back in production - I could use them.
Thanks, Danny.
Dave Bortz

Post by Dave Bortz »

PM sent...
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Little Engines also has couplers available these are Loop shank cushion couplers and they are from cast ASTM grade 45 Steel.
They are very machinable very well double and very strong we are in the process of making more now as well as short shank ones for front coupler pockets they should be available in 1 to 2 weeks I do have 8 pair of the loop shank left in stock and then making more as we speak
Attachments
IMG_20170223_163824.jpg
briandi777

Post by briandi777 »

Anyone know if the old Railroad Wearhouse Stainless Steel Couplers are available from a new supplier?
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

I don't think Bob has sold those coupler molds yet (they're still listed on his website).

Brook
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

nriandi777,

Check with Dave Bortz. He's got some beauties. He bought the patterns from Superscale.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Dan,
Don't forget that most track undulates up and down, even the best ones ever so slightly.
Everyone's mileage varies.

Setting your coupler height at a higher or lower
limit than standard sets you up for a potential
uncoupling situation if the equipment you are attached to is at standard height or to push the point off height in the opposite direction as you.

I would mount it at 1-1/2" scale recommended
height.

Just my two cents.

Take care,
Brian