Pyle National K2 Steam Turbine Generator

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Pyle National K2 Steam Turbine Generator

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi

Does anyone make castings for the a 1.5/1.6 scale Pyle National K2 Steam Turbine Generator?

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Dick_Morris

Re: Pyle National K2 Steam Turbine Generator

Post by Dick_Morris »

FYI, the K2 and the later K240 are essentially the same. I've read that Pyle National sold parts to upgrade from one to the other.
Miserlou57

Post by Miserlou57 »

I 3D printed a K-2 generator in 1.593 scale. This particular material is good up to 170 degrees F if I recall, and if need be I will mount on an insulating board. Thought about doing castings but this is good enough for me.

https://imgur.com/xg4L3Cl,glfXS2b
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

There is on ebay from time to time a seller from New Zealand (francesh2005) who is offering Pyle National K2 turbogenerator detailed brass castings in 1.5" scale. They are to make a dummy unit but the castings can be made into a working unit if one is very resourceful. There are no drawings or instructions for this however.

The seller claims that he has produced a working unit from the castings but as I say there are no drawings or instructions on how to do this.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Carrdo wrote:There is on ebay from time to time a seller from New Zealand (francesh2005) who is offering Pyle National K2 turbogenerator detailed brass castings in 1.5" scale. They are to make a dummy unit but the castings can be made into a working unit if one is very resourceful. There are no drawings or instructions for this however.

The seller claims that he has produced a working unit from the castings but as I say there are no drawings or instructions on how to do this.
This is the one I was looking for.

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Carrdo wrote:There is on ebay from time to time a seller from New Zealand (francesh2005) who is offering Pyle National K2 turbogenerator detailed brass castings in 1.5" scale. They are to make a dummy unit but the castings can be made into a working unit if one is very resourceful. There are no drawings or instructions for this however.

I see one pictured in the DNC System Technologies ad in Australian Model Engineering magazine. Check http://www.dncsystems.dynalias.com/minirail.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

I just received a set of the 1.5" scale Pyle National dummy K-2 castings from the supplier in New Zealand and I am very happy with them.

They are very detailed hard bronze investment castings and come with come the sprues attached. Chris supplies a fact sheet on how to remove the sprues and cleanup the castings. As well, he includes a x-section listing parts of the K-2 turbogenerator itself.

I have attached a couple of photos of what I have done with the castings so far. One needs to have a fine jewellers type saw to remove some of the sprues. One has to think about how to hold the castings as we are dealing here with some very hard bronze and delicate detail which can be damaged with careless clamping.

Chris has an email: frances_chris@xtra.co.nz for further info or purchases.

I have no commercial connection with this other than being a happy purchaser.
Attachments
109 K-2 Castings with Cut Off Sprues.jpg
110 Casting Cleanup Tools.jpg
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

P.S. to my last post.

You should see his 2" scale NZR Ka971 Northern on Youtube.