3/4" OD copper K type tube Roller

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jlakes85

3/4" OD copper K type tube Roller

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi all,

Are there any plans out there for a roller that would work with this size tubing? Thanks again.

-jlakes85
Pontiacguy1

Re: 3/4" OD copper K type tube Roller

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

If you don't want to build one, you can buy one. The commercial rollers have a really large body on them that will make it impossible to roll a tube right up next to the crown sheet. I took one and machined a new body for it, and now it works really good. Basically the body is about 1/8" bigger diameter than the OD of the tube. I've tubed up at least 3 boilers with it, and it is all good. Got it from some dude selling them on Ebay.

If you want to build one, Jessie Livingston has an excellent build series in his book. His roller design can be driven by a drill motor through the tube and out of the front tube sheet for rolling the rear of the tubes. It can be driven by the other end for rolling the front tube sheet. It is also the same OD as the tube, so if you can fit the tube in there, it will roll it.

His article isn't for a roller for a particular size of tube, but tells you what his calculations are so that you can make one for any size of tubing.
Vance Nickerson

Post by Vance Nickerson »

Just buy it they're not that expensive and worth every penny to folks like Marty Knox and I. If your bored I guess make it but most time is better spent making income and progress. I have over a dozen that I have bought and don't regret a one of them.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Vance Nickerson wrote:Just buy it they're not that expensive and worth every penny to folks like Marty Knox and I. If your bored I guess make it but most time is better spent making income and progress. I have over a dozen that I have bought and don't regret a one of them.
You only have a dozen, Vance? That's right, you're pretty new to this boiler business. :D
Seriously, a good tube roller is an investment. If you take care of them they last a lifetime. When I bought one of my first rollers back in 1985 I bought replacement pins for it - I finally replaced them about 4 years ago. One of the important things to remember is to take it apart and clean it after use - don't put it away dirty. Thomas C. Wilson and Elliott are the two major brands, for our sizes you want a condenser roller, not a boiler tube roller. They will want to know the OD and wall thickness of the tubes you are planning to roll, plus the projection - the amount the tube sticks out of the tubesheet.
You can buy close-clearance collars if you need to get in tight corners. I think that is what Vance was saying he made.
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Sounds good. I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy one. They were on McMaster's website a day or two ago, but now I can't bring up the category..go figure
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Marty_Knox wrote:You can buy them direct http://www.tcwilson.com or http://www.elliott-tool.com
Marty:
Which specific roller would you recommend for 1/2" OD copper tubes in one of our typical hobby boilers?
I'm not sure I can make the optimum decision from the info on those two good suppliers' websites. Too many choices, too little knowledge...
I'd like to have one on hand in case a re-roll is required in my boiler. Steel tube sheets, copper tubes.
Thanks.
~RN
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Russ, tubes are described by the outside diameter and the wall thickness expressed by Birmingham Wire Gauge. A typical tube is 1/2" 'K' copper, which is 5/8" OD with a .049" wall. The .049" wall is BWG 18 gauge. For this size tube I have a TCWilson 41-C expander, their assembly number 38394.I bought the close clearance collar in addition to the standard ball bearing collar, both for a 1/16" projection.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Marty_Knox wrote:Russ, tubes are described by the outside diameter and the wall thickness expressed by Birmingham Wire Gauge. A typical tube is 1/2" 'K' copper, which is 5/8" OD with a .049" wall. The .049" wall is BWG 18 gauge. For this size tube I have a TCWilson 41-C expander, their assembly number 38394.I bought the close clearance collar in addition to the standard ball bearing collar, both for a 1/16" projection.
McMaster wants $325.50 for a roller this size. This roller from TCWilson is $85 less.
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

It is not really difficult to make your own tube roller. Since you won't be rolling boiler after boiler you don't have to harden the tapered shaft. I used hardened dowel pins for the rollers. There have been published plans by Jesse Livingston as already mentioned, plus Rich Dean and at least one more that was in Live Steam along with Jesse's design. Save the money to buy valves and boiler fittings for your loco. I made a tube roller for my 1-1/2" Kozo Shay and it worked very well.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Marty:
Thank you for the education and information. Very useful.
Contemplating...
~RN