Small Scales Injector - PRODUCT ANOUNCEMENT

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Small Scales Injector - PRODUCT ANOUNCEMENT

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Hi everyone,

Eccentric Engineer is proud to announce a new injector for small boilers! The goal with this project is to provide the performance and reliability of EE's Standard Injector, but sized to better suit 3/4" and 1" scale models, as well as the smaller 7.5" gauge locomotive like Chloe's and Fitchburg Northerns. These little injectors will be available in December 2017.

• 2.5 pints per minute (projected)
• 3/16" tubing (1/4" with provided couplings)
• Lifting / Restarting action
• Removable steam and delivery cone for in-service maintenance
• 1/4"-40 threaded overflow
• $225 target price, subject to change (though not likely)

https://www.eccentricengineer.com/injec ... s-injector

Expressions of interest are always appreciated to help estimate how many injectors to make. However, when the run is finished, they will be available first come first serve.

I will be at LALS for their fall meet with the sample injector and other goodies! Come say hello!

- Anthony Duarte
Standard Injector side by side with the Small Scales Injector
Standard Injector side by side with the Small Scales Injector
Small Scales Injector - Inlet
Small Scales Injector - Inlet
Small Scales Injector - Delivery
Small Scales Injector - Delivery
765nkp

Re: Small Scales Injector - PRODUCT ANOUNCEMENT

Post by 765nkp »

Hi Anthony, I am interested in one for sure to start with and maybe a couple more in the future.

Thanks Tim
Sawyer-Massey

Post by Sawyer-Massey »

Great news Anthony! PM sent.

Steve
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

What is the operating pressure?

JB
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Targeting 30-125psi operating range. I'm considering playing with this a bit and maybe providing two steam cones, one for lower pressure and one for higher. Since most small scale engines pop at 100, an injector that starts at around 15-20 psi and maxes out around 110 would be more useful.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Most of your smaller 1 1/2 inch equipment still pops at 120 or 125 PSI. I'd go with the 130 max PSI so it will work on steel boiler equipment if you only decide to make 1 type. I am quite interested in one for my Chloe. It has a superscale economy on it, which you only run for about 10 seconds at a time.
Glad you are thinking about two different ones so everyone can get the optimal one for them. I had an English injector that maxed out at about 100 PSI, and it was useless for me, since I could never get it to start when I needed water. Took a while to figure out that injector wasn't made for the higher pressure! That was frustrating. It actually wouldn't pick up above about 95 PSI.
This is something that I've thought would be great for a long time.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Would this be capable of feeding something the size of an Allen Mogul (when a second larger injector also exists on the engine)?

The idea being to let one smaller injector handle water delivery most of the time, larger one for backup or for just topping off during higher demand. The one engine I've run so far is set up like this, but instead of a small and medium size injector it's a medium sized one and a huge one... some kind of Penberthy that will fill the glass from the bottom 1/4 in a matter of seconds.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

I would very much like to have one of your small scale injectors for my Disney 4-4-0 with a steam cone to handle 125 psi. I'm currently using a Super Scale Economy injector which has a delivery way to much for my small boiler. Besides it is too large and looks out of place. Please notify me when one of your injectors is available.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Jawn wrote:Would this be capable of feeding something the size of an Allen Mogul (when a second larger injector also exists on the engine)?

The idea being to let one smaller injector handle water delivery most of the time, larger one for backup or for just topping off during higher demand. The one engine I've run so far is set up like this, but instead of a small and medium size injector it's a medium sized one and a huge one... some kind of Penberthy that will fill the glass from the bottom 1/4 in a matter of seconds.
I think it's a great idea, and it's not uncommon to see that in full sized practice as well. One injector for regular use on the fireman's side, and an injector the next size up on the engineer's side in case of an emergency.

For an Allen Mogul I imagine the little injector would be sufficient most of the time, but I doubt it you would be able to add water to the boiler while working a grade or pulling a heavy train. Having the larger Standard Injector would be a good safety net.

- Anthony
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

The R&D Small Scales Injector has been installed on my 1" scale pacific and tested. It works extremely well between 45-100psi (my pop off pressure).
I'll continue to fine tune the cones until the lower limit is reliably 25-30psi and will eventually install it on my 2.5" scale mogul to test it all the way to 125. I will keep it installed at LALS so folks can see it in operation.

So far I have been very pleased by the response for this product, and am looking forward to getting it underway. Production will begin on these after the Nathan 1921 starter valves are completed, and the Nathan 1918A injectors will come after the little injectors. I'll need something to keep me busy while the 1918A bodies are at the foundry!

Hope to see you at LALS.
- Anthony
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

As all my locos pop at 100 psi including my Chloe, I like the lower operating range. My two cents as someone who already has put in my order as you know.
Matt Mason
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I would like to order the small injector as soon as you have it. Like Pontiacguy, I have one of the small English injectors but need something that works at the 100 psi popoff range
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)