Question on Titan Trains Titan JR

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

wa6mdi

Question on Titan Trains Titan JR

Post by wa6mdi »

Anybody on here have the Titan JR? I'm considering this for my next loco and wonder several things. Is yours electric or gas? Honda engine? Eaton Hydro? Can the hydro be put in neutral for loading/unloading? On the electric one what kind of run times can you get before recharging?

The size and weight look attractive as I'm not going to pulling a lot of rolling stick and want something lighter.

Thanks

Dick.
rkcarguy

Re: Question on Titan Trains Titan JR

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm not familiar with most train makers, but the hydraulic control should free wheel, relatively free anyway, when in neutral with the engine off.
There will still be some resistance as the fluid will still move through the hydraulic motors, but bypasses the pump.
My opinion would be to go Honda engine and hydraulics, but you know what they say about opinions:)
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Hey Dick, hows it going,
do you know which Eaton hydrostat when using? i know that the #6 and 7 has a bypass pin that must be pushed to push the loco, not idea. I would personal go electric. with proper battery config, the run time is often in the 20 to 30 hour range. more then most will ride in a single "sitting"
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
wa6mdi

Post by wa6mdi »

Hi Chris, good to hear from you. What has happened is I sold the steamer probably 10 years ago. Wanted to get into something a little larger than my Lil Gasser. Picked up a 2.5 inch version of the D&RGW # 50. Turns out it's 550 to 600#. Way too heavy for this 74 year old guy to handle. Had to purchase an engine hoist to get it into the truck. (New Tacoma) Thing would not go across the steel bridge from the engine stand to truck bed like the steamer did. Too much weight in to small an area and the bridge got pushed and the front end dropped down onto the truck bed with the front axle resting off the end of the stand. Almost dropped the entire thing on the floor. Luckily I had the stand fastened to the rear bumper. So now it's a 30 minute job just to load. Have to take cab off and place straps forward of the front and rear wheels, then lift it up and sling it into the bed. Waaaaay too much work

Yes on the Honda and an Eaton Hydro, that is what is in my current D&RGW # 50 (Knock off) runs great and one can dis-engage the hydro and roll it with one finger.

So I'm looking at selling the # 50 and the Lil Gasser on DLS. And getting into something smaller the Titan Jr looks like the ticket, provided I can get some feed back on it and probably will go with the Honda and the Eaton hydro.

Other than that just working and having fun. You doing OK?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I am doing well Dick,
just staying busy at the office and the shop.
glad to hear from you. any plans on making out to the west coast anytime soon?
wa6mdi

Post by wa6mdi »

Not planning on getting out that way. Reason being I spent 40 years on the road and just enjoying being in one place now.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I understand that ;)