Steel wheel tires - welding?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LIALLEGHENY

Re: Steel wheel tires - welding?

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

John Hasler,

I agree DOM tube would be fine to use. I was referring to "pipe" or welded rings.

Nyle
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

4140 air hardens from welding and gets very brittle, ask how I know.
You'll want to use A36 or A572-G50 materials. Much of it is dual specification these days so it's easier to find.
I am going to be welding the wheels up on my locomotive. They will be disks of laser cut 3/4" plate, with "washers" of 3/8" plate welded to the backside to create the flanges. The inner diameter of the "washer" is going to be rather large so I can get a lot of weld on it, as well as use the drop from the middle for my sprocket hubs.
Welding always creates hard spots and they can wear funny or lumpy compared to the base material. I think what I'm going to do is weld the "washer" to the 3/4" plate on the inside diameter. Then in the flange to wheel "inside corner" that will contact the inside top of my rails, I'm going to bevel that out a little bit and braze it until I get a small fillet of brazing in there. It should be very strong yet not considerably softer or harder than the mild steel.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Important to note, I will be turning them afterwards, or at least fixing a grinder to something and truing them up after welding.