Hydrogen Embrittlement

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Hydrogen Embrittlement

Post by tornitore45 »

I got a big wrench and a handful of wood brace auger bits I was planning to de-rust electrolytically. Then I read about Hydrogen Embrittlement and paused.
A rusty bit always cuts better than a broken one.

How pronounced would be the phenomenon after an overnight de-rusting bath?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Russ Hanscom

Re: Hydrogen Embrittlement

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Probably not an issue for that period of time. Also depends on the steel, harder ones are more susceptible. A night in a warm oven should help any hydrogen diffuse.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What Russ said, although I'm not convinced that time is much of a factor. A few hours of hydrogen generation is likely more than enough to create issues. Hardened steel readily absorbs (and retains) hydrogen, which is suspected of interrupting the slip plane of atoms, thus causing breakage. A roast in a relatively warm oven (375° F) for a few hours should disperse the hydrogen, with no ill effect.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Thanks. I knew expert answer would come.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I ran into it with some plated split lock washers that would crack in two when tightening the bolt. Spec said they should be capable of being bent to 90 degrees. The manufacture had not baked them after plating.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote:I ran into it with some plated split lock washers that would crack in two when tightening the bolt. Spec said they should be capable of being bent to 90 degrees. The manufacture had not baked them after plating.
A good example of how little time it takes for the hydrogen to be absorbed.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ever hear of Hydroformers in refineries?

find about on Google and be horrified.

When I worked in Saudi in the 1970's we STILL had one running (the last in the world).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

What's horrifying about hydroforming (either the metal working process or the petrochemical process)?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

in the petroleum industry, hydroforming is a very different concept from using hydraulic pressure to form metal.

In a refinery, HYDROFORMING is (was) a process which while popular in the 1940's has totally disappeared from the business.

Technical description:

"a process for producing high-octane gasoline or aromatic hydrocarbons (as toluene, xylenes) by dehydrogenation and aromatization of petroleum naphthas usually containing a high ratio of naphthenes in a stream of added hydrogen and in the presence of a catalyst at elevated temperature"

Short description:

Basically, you put hydrocarbons inside a PRESSURIZED vessel, ADD HYDROGEN and heat the outside with an open flame.

Hydrogen embrittlement would cause the steel pressure vessel to de-laminate and leak hydrogen / hydrocarbons to the outside (flame) area

The resulting explosions were nothing short of spectacular (if you were several miles away).

Conversion of the process to steam heating was somewhat successful (less efficient) but the embrittlement problem continued (along with the hydrogen leaks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEL_TfVSYyQ

IIRC, there were something like 12 of them built. 5 exploded (Whiting was the most in-famous), 7 were shut down for safety reasons once they finally figured out exactly what was causing the failures...
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> ...in the petroleum industry, hydroforming is a very different concept from using hydraulic pressure to form metal.

Yes, that's why I mentioned both.

Hot pressurized hydrogen (and often uglier things) is common in chemical industry processes. Ammonia manufacture is the primary example. Hydrogen embrittlement is pretty well understood these days. The hydroforming process seems to still be in widespread use, though it is usually called catalytic reforming.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I am pretty sure that the use of Hydrogen in the petroleum catalytic process has been discontinued....

as I mentioned, the last refinery where I worked (in the middle east), had the last running hydroformer in existence - and we shut it down while I was there (in the 1980s).

Unless something new has started since then...
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Lots of references disagree. Example: http://nptel.ac.in/courses/103107082/mo ... cture6.pdf