Steam down in the Atlanta Georgia Area?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

apm

Steam down in the Atlanta Georgia Area?

Post by apm »

Work has me traveling for two weeks down to Atlanta, we will be working right at the airport there, Monday-Friday which leaves me sitting in a hotel over the weekend. I suppose I could always visit the Coca Cola museum down there but is there any good places for antique machinery, live steam clubs, railroad museums, steam traction etc... that are worth visiting on the weekend of Nov 4th and 5th? I keep on trying to get on the projects with travel over to England, what is Atlanta like?
Fender

Re: Steam down in the Atlanta Georgia Area?

Post by Fender »

Go visit the Southern Museum of the Civil War in Kennesaw GA. It has exhibits for the Glover Machine Works, one of the few locomotive builders in the South.
http://www.southernmuseum.org/
Last edited by Fender on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
John_S

Post by John_S »

There's also the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth to visit.

The North Georgia Live Steamers is out east in Conyers, but I don't know if they have anything going on that weekend.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Go visit the Southern Museum of the Civil War in Kennesaw GA. It has exhibits for the Glover Machine Works, one of the few locomotive builders in the South.

http://www.southernmuseum.org
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

APM,

At NGLS, we are planning a club run day/fun day on that Saturday the 4th. We would be happy to have you come by if you have time. PM me as it gets closer and I will keep you in the loop for whatever the plan ends up being.

Thanks,
Peter Craymer
apm

Post by apm »

Peter,

Thanks for the invite, I sent you a private message, I may take you up on the offer to stop by if there will be people there on Saturday. Looks like I will need to try to get to the southernmuseum on Sunday for sure. What is the Southeastern Railway Museum like for those who have been there?

Thanks,

Adam
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Adam,

I got your message. Will Do. It's been a couple years since I have been to the SERM, but I know they have some really nice exhibits (including S&A 750) that are inside and well preserved as well a yard full of equipment. There is a short train ride (diesel) on the museum grounds and a decent stream of NS trains along the ex-Southern Mainline (you have to cross it to get into the museum). I think it's worth a visit if you can schedule it. It's too bad the Atlanta History Center isn't open yet as the Texas is there as a compliment to the General. The Cyclorama painting - The Battle of Atlanta is something to see, but those exhibits aren't scheduled to open for a year! The other thing is that you are only 2ish hours away from Chattanooga if you have the desire to go to the Tennessee Valley Railroad - home of Southern 630 and 4501. One or both engines may be in steam - check website. I will let you know about NGLS plans in another week or so.

Peter
Fender

Post by Fender »

TVRM Summerville steam trips will run throughout November on Friday-Saturday-Sundays. The last double-header trips will be 10/28 & 10/29.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

If you want to get out and drive around some there are a lot of static displays a little further out but several within an hour or so of Atlanta. Gainsville, Winder, Jeffersonville, Marietta. etc..

Don't forget to go to the Varsity; Dogs, rings, and an FO.

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
apm

Post by apm »

I did not realize that I would be that close to TVRM, I have always wanted to visit there. I see that they have an all day excursion that sounds like quite the trip up to Summerville. While down there I will have a rental car and the company pays for the hotels, so it wouldn't be much to head towards Chattanooga Friday night and stay over there. Anyone ever rode on it and have any suggestions? I am thinking the open window car sounds like the best seats. I know TVRM has one of the best shops in the country do they offer tours there? Is there much by way of a museum or are they more or less a first rate shop geared towards maintaining excursion ready locomotives in tip top shape?

Thanks for the advice,

Adam