Scary!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Re: Scary!

Post by DianneB »

Marty_Knox wrote:.....I can take some more pictures and post them to a new thread.
But I have to say that is a VERY effective way to condemn a boiler and make sure it doesn't get fired again! ;)
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

The bulging on the inside of the firebox is the dead giveaway. I've seen it on boilers before, and they looked just about like this when they were cut apart. The boiler was over 35 yrs old, though, and really needed to be replaced anyway.

Dianne: Don't worry, you'll get everything put back together and it will be a lot better. I worked on one locomotive that had an absolute rat's nest inside the cab with tubes and valves wrapping around and sticking out everywhere. You'd have to trace down the pipe to see what it actually went to, because you definitely couldn't tell. Stripped all of the piping off of it, got it all cleaned up and organized, and did it ever make a big difference!
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Marty_Knox wrote: But water treatment is only part of the answer - washing the boiler is the important thing.
So correct Marty. So many live steamers just think water treatment and occasional blowdowns are enough. Seen the results of that logic before. Even frequent blowdowns during running do not replace opening up the plugs and washing it down at least annually. And if your boiler doesn't have washout plugs, PUT THEM IN!!
Matt Mason
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Diane

Do you have a hand pump in your tender?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

One question for the group from a beginner. Can a injector be run on air from a compressor to test it once installed, or does it only work on hot steam?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Pipescs wrote:One question for the group from a beginner. Can a injector be run on air from a compressor to test it once installed, or does it only work on hot steam?
An injector needs steam and cool water to work.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

So I will have to pipe it all up prior to a test under steam. Bummer

Diane, I ordered this from Blackgates Engineering online. They are a British Supplier and having heard all the stories about the small English injectors not working at 100 PSI, I asked for information as to what it would do.

The shop tells me the thing is tested at 120 PSI and puts out 1 1/4 Pint per minute. Supposedly very reliable if plumbed right. They have it in five sizes. This one uses 3/16 inch fittings.

It was a last minute order added to some other things I was ordering.

I have saved that email in case it does not.

20171025_163050.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

The injector you have is the exact one I ordered from Blackgates. It works just fine. It will work right up to 100 psi. The cones are loose, so don't get them mixed up when you remove the pipe nuts. The lower operating pressure is about 70 PSI. Make sure the check valve at the boiler does not leak back to the injector. This will make the injector hot and will absolutely not work. Also, I increased the water supply pipe from 3/16" to 1/4" (7/32" inside diameter). I had to make a special adapter to get a 1/4" pipe to fit to the water supply fitting. I have the injector mounted very low on the side of the frame.

It's a great little injector. I don't quite understand why the injectors sold in the U.S. are so expensive. The photo is before I increased the water feed line. The pipe shown is 3/16".

David
DSCN1483 - reduced 1.jpg
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Pipescs wrote:Do you have a hand pump in your tender?
Yes, I have a hand pump and crosshead pumps. In addition to the injector, I plan to add a Van Broklin style duplex pump (with Bill Shields modifications) when I get it built.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

If the first fitting into the boiler is nipple I use stainless instead brass.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Just a short comment about Blackgates. I have done a little business with them for decades. I first was in contact with there booth at ME Expo at the Ally Pally in winter 1989/90 week long show. I again met the family at the 2006 Tri-annual at Train Mountain where they had a booth in the vendor shed. They are very nice people and good to do business with.
Cary
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I got the injector mounted, the steam line partly run - waiting on valves - and got the deliver line done. Also got part of the water line run before I had to give up when my 1/4-40 MTP tap seemed to loose its edge. I will have to switch to cleaning up & overhauling the crosshead pumps while I wait for replacement tap & die..
Attachments
Injector Mounted.jpg