0-4-0 CAMELBACK ALTERNITIVES.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

Re: 0-4-0 CAMELBACK ALTERNITIVES.

Post by LVRR2095 »

alcoge wrote:
LVRR2095 wrote:Another picture of Ed and his Forney
I’d like to see how the front end is set up on his engine. I have a similar engine and it steams poorly from start up to going around the Railroad.
I don’t see a petticoat pipe in your smoke box. It will be very difficult to form a partial vacuum without a way to contain the exhaust steam cone.

Keith
alcoge

Post by alcoge »

This is a somewhat old picture. It has a petticoat now but it’s an exhaust adapter cut down to the flare and wrapped around the outside of the petticoat pipe. I think that the steam is catching the bottom of the petticoat pipe inside of the petticoat and causing a problem. I’ll try to get an updated photo. Even on air it steams fairly poor. The boiler should be pretty clean as well as the flues. The grates are in good shape and there’s a fair amount of room around the top of the ash pan to let combustion air in.
alcoge

Post by alcoge »

I’m also curious if the diameter of the stack is part of the problem.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

looks to me like your blast nozzle and your blower ring are sitting too far down in the smoke box.
The rule of thumb is that your nozzle should be about 1/3 of your smoke box, the petticoat should be about 1/3rd, and the middle 3rd should be open. What is probably happening is that your blast from your nozzle and your blower ring is not being completely contained inside the petticoat pipe.

Another thing to check on, and this is really important... Make sure there are no leaks inside the smoke box or between the smoke box and the boiler. If there are any, it will draft very poorly. I've dealt with that before, and if you have a leak, it really doesn't matter how good your nozzle/stack is set up.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

SEGUE SEGUE SEGUE IT IS A GREAT WORD. The title of this post is Camelback Alternatives.

The Blast Nozzle is a great subject and should be talked about, and has been discussed many times on this forum.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
alcoge

Post by alcoge »

Segue? This locomotive is a variation of the camelback built on the MERCER A5. I bought it in its current configuration and it didn’t come with prints. I was hoping that somebody that’s tackled this variation could lend some expertise.
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

At first glance, it looks like your blast nozzle is too low.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

OK I would need to know a few things to help I will post a picture of the front end of the 0-4-0 But I think the nozzle is too low.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

THE MISTRY OF THE BLAST NOZZLE PT1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMsI1jGpTiw
SUPLIMENT TO PT 1 THE BLAST NOZZLE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfQqdw9V6TQ
THE BLAST NOZZLE PT2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFrHTRCBOg