Locomotive graphics?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Locomotive graphics?

Post by DianneB »

I am doing a bunch of work on my LE American and thinking about doing some re-painting. I'd love to add some nice flourishes like they have done on Leviathan. https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeross/3763437393

I have done water-slide decals with Testor's products but, even with clear-coat, I am not sure about their durability and resistance to sun, weather, and abrasion.

What have others been using with a good life time?
Marty_Knox

Re: Locomotive graphics?

Post by Marty_Knox »

Find a guy who does pin-striping on hot rods. I had a local pinstriper do the wheels on my Green Goddess. I had a Schenectady builders photo that he followed.
They usually use One-Shot, the sign painters paint. Show him a picture of what you want, then stand back and watch him exercise his talent.
Attachments
IMG_7891.JPG
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

Dianne, another option is to apply gold leaf.
-Kevin S
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Sign Painter's paint containing lead will last a half a century and longer.

Our caboose hand brushed lettered in 1966 with a Sherwin Williams product know at the time as "Bulletin Colors" remains in service today.

[One Shot], as Marty is referring to would be today's comparable equivalent.

John
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you want to get the one-shot paint yourself (and a pin striping tool), you can get them from Eastwoods.

Steve
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote:Sign Painter's paint containing lead will last a half a century and longer.

Our caboose hand brushed lettered in 1966 with a Sherwin Williams product know at the time as "Bulletin Colors" remains in service today.

[One Shot], as Marty is referring to would be today's comparable equivalent.

John
Good luck acquiring some of that these days. I'm sure you can find an epoxy product that will last a long time though. I think I would have someone make you some masks or stencils, and then spray some good quality paint(automotive type with a hardener) through an airbrush.
I'm planning to print the letters and #'s I need on our 24x36 printer at work and then just carefully trim the letters out of the paper and use it for a stencil. Not much out there for Southern Pacific decals in 2" scale.
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

rkcarguy, most of those paints are available from sign supply stores, although the paint formulas have probably changed. I agree with you having paint mask made. The person doing the cutting should be able to scale the letters to any size you need. I know with Corel Draw or any cut program you can scale the letter to what every size you need by just dragging them to the size.
-Kevin S
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

The photo in Dianne's post shows some extremely fine detail on the steam dome and headlight. I don't see any way to get that other than a custom decal. I've looked at paint masks for small lettering and the sign shops I've contacted can't cut masks with lettering under 1/4-inch size, and even then it is uncertain. I was not able to get a usable mask for some fonts in 1/4-inch size. Hand painting that level of detail would be quite difficult. There is decal paper that can be run through an inkjet printer, but you are limited to the colors you can get from CMYK inks. Dianne's example is in gold. You might be able to get close to gold but a real gold look isn't going to come from an inkjet. In theory it might be possible to photo etch a mask on some thin copper shim stock — say .003 or so — using PCB techniques, which might be worth a try. DIY kits are available. Depending on how close to prototype you need, there might be some dollhouse decals that could be patched together to get close enough.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

As someone who does vinyl, I can also say that at that scale, that type of Victorian scrollwork is also outside of the capabilities of cut vinyl. High quality printed vinyl on the other hand...

Re: inkjet decals -
An issue with inkjet decals is that they will fade with UV exposure, even with high end pigmented inks eventually. Heat could also be a problem. However, if one were to top clear coat over the decal, it could work. It's just hard to say how long it would hold up in that kind of environment.

I believe your best bet is to hand paint a simplified scrollwork design using templates.

Or consult with the folks who do graphics and lining for G-scale / 16mm gauge and see what they could do or recommend:

Lightline:
http://www.lightline16mm.com/

Berry Hill Works:
https://www.facebook.com/Berry-Hill-Wor ... 352002982/

(note these are UK companies)

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Harlock wrote:An issue with inkjet decals is that they will fade with UV exposure, even with high end pigmented inks eventually. Heat could also be a problem. However, if one were to top clear coat over the decal, it could work. It's just hard to say how long it would hold up in that kind of environment.
A few years ago I made a pair of flags with Testor's decal materials because I couldn't find small fabric flags. I wrapped them around the flag poles on the pilot deck and clear-coated them. They stood up well for the first season and slowly deteriorated through seasons 2 and 3. Now, in season 4, they are looking sad LOL! But they were easy to make and very inexpensive.

I think I will research various methods of "transfer printing" - like making rubber stamps - that could be used to transfer sign painter's paint.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Talk to Jim Abbott at Highball Graphics. Jimmy does outstanding work with live steam decals.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."