Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: Rebuild of an Allen Mogul.

Post by NP317 »

That locomotive REALLY needs you!
Getting it cleaned up and re-plumbed for functionality will certainly make a difference.
Fun to watch your progress. Thanks for sharing.
~RN
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

A few views inside the smoke box. It's not looking pretty with the petticoat corroded away like this. They had a piece of plumbing pipe jammed down the smoke stack as a replacement,(you can make it out in the first picture) I thought I had a better picture of it than that. Once I get up the railroad in the next few weeks, i'll take a picture of it. I believe that is what has caused the hole in the original stack.

I'm accepting ideas and opinions on how to remedy this... Do I just go with the same idea and use an insert down through the stack or do I go ahead and make a new petticoat, or go ahead and buy new smoke box castings.
Attachments
IMG_7044.JPG
IMG_8365.JPG
IMG_8276.JPG
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

My vote is that since it appears that you have to replace the stack, make a new petticoat and blast pipe that attaches inside the new stack and re-use the smokebox half. The aluminum castings may have had some porosity, but the bottom line is that they were melted away from the heat. The peticaot could be a flanged piece that bolts under the stack and extends in to the smokebox. Mine is all steel, so I welded it in and left a boss for the stock stack to fit over and bolt down as on the print.

Peter
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Consider acquiring the new cast iron smokebox upper half and smoke stack from Allen Models.
I've never seen a melted petticoat on an Allen front end! But that just might be my lack of experience...
I can see light through the joint between the smokebox halves.
Lots of room for improvements with this project.
~RN
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

NP317 wrote:Consider acquiring the new cast iron smokebox upper half and smoke stack from Allen Models.
I've never seen a melted petticoat on an Allen front end! But that just might be my lack of experience...
I can see light through the joint between the smokebox halves.
Lots of room for improvements with this project.
~RN
I rebuilt a Ten-Wheeler with a melted petticoat. It was a propane burner that was running on too much pressure and had air leaks into the smokebox. I suspect he was having a secondary fire in the smokebox.
Oh, and all the paint, grease, and oil was burned off underneath the firebox. Only time I have seen the needle bearings fail.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

I knew a guy that got burned from the aluminum petticoat melting on a Allen 10-wheeler. It was shooting out the stack with each exhaust beat! He was running a crazy pressurized kerosene/diesel fuel system and as mentioned, I believe that the fire in the firebox wasn't the only one!
Peter
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Hello all.

After a break with ankle surgery and the holidays I got some photos to show we are still working on the Mogul.....

Jacketing off, insulation removed, boiler removed and finally a bath. Boiler looks like it was full of crap. Boiler has had a flush at the time of writing this. Going to take my bore-scope and look inside a bit later today.
Attachments
IMG_8363.JPG
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

more pics
Attachments
IMG_8381.JPG
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

pics
Attachments
IMG_8406.JPG
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

wash time.
Attachments
IMG_8498.JPG
IMG_8478.JPG
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Well, I guess the melted petticoat had to go somewhere......

smoke box removal, and just a couple of pictures of the melted aluminum petticoat remains in the bottom of the smoke box saddle casting.....

I removed the smoke box to remove the remains of the petticoat, make a new petticoat and machine to fit the new smoke stack casting that I got from Allen Models of Nevada....
Attachments
IMG_8955.JPG
~Anthony~
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

inside saddle casting
Attachments
IMG_8959.JPG
~Anthony~