Cabinets With Small Drawers For Under Work Table

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Nelson

Cabinets With Small Drawers For Under Work Table

Post by Nelson »

Hi guys,

I am building a cantilever work table to work on clocks, and need some short cabinets with several small drawers that will fit under the table, which is about 39" high. Does anyone know where I might find some?
Nels
Founder, Hobby-Machinist.com
SB 10L Lathe in pieces, Burke #4, Van Norman #12
SteveM

Re: Cabinets With Small Drawers For Under Work Table

Post by SteveM »

Depends on how large you need, what size drawers, etc...

You could find a short rollaway, or get an equipto cabinet. Equipto cabinets have different drawer configurations.

Search craigslist for the word "drawer" and you'll find a number of options.

Steve
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Thanks, Steve.

Eqipto is expensive, but there are used on Ebay that are not too high. But thanks to your suggestion, I found Durham, which has some nice stuff that is even stackable.

I am looking for a cabinet, ideally wood, that has small drawers, and will fit under a tabletop that will be 39" high. I am told that Akea made something similar, but their stuff isn't shop quality. The plastic rollaways are also not exactly what I am looking for because they have large drawers, and are kinda flimsy.

The Durhams may be just what I need.
Nels
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Grizzly has some wooden cabinets with small drawers that might work for you.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

You never said how big the drawers are that you would like or whether they are to be wood or metal.
If you're building from scratch you may want to look into rack mount drawers that are used for DJ audio equipment, servers etc.
I fished a rolling rack out of the dumpster here in the industrial park my shop is in, and found out the company Middle Atlantic
made drawers and was a able to score a few on eBay, they're not cheap but they are metal enclosed drawers, meaning there is a outer
box that the drawer resides in. Penn Elcom also makes them for less money than Middle Atlantic if you're on a budget, plus they sell
the pre drilled and tapped rails that you could use to assemble a rack.
The one I dumpster dived for is now my rolling tooling cabinet.
Another metal cabinet were the multi drawer cabinets for holding letters and papers, you may be able to find some on Craigslist
that you could cannibalize the drawers.
this is new from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Bisley-Multidraw ... B009NGGBVO
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I'm looking for small drawers. The unit will go under a cantilever table that will be my clock repair work space: http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple- ... ever-Desk/. I considered one of those expensive clock repair benches, but they are small, and don't look very sturdy. I decided to build a cantilever table on both walls of the area, and use under-table storage. I considered some steel drawers that I saw on Ebay, but realized that rolling units would be very handy. The Bisley units have a problem. One shelf is held by the shelf above it. For over $200 each, that is a bad deal in my view. The only all wood rolling cabinets are flimsy, and take a while to put together: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K95WD2O/_e ... P3TMX4QMTE . At $50, they are a decent buy, and I might get them until I can contemplate making what I need.
Nels
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I took a closer look at the Bisley unit I linked to and the drawers ( I think you typo'ed shelf instead of drawers ) and they sit on rails
inside the main box. They may be flimsy but I was going by units I have at home, which are older all metal types made of heavier gauge sheet metal.
Craigslist is one place I'd look, even for wood ones, office under desk drawer units are a possibility, but they would only offer
2 or 3 drawers.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

IMHO I don't like wood drawered anything, solid or composite. For that reason I buy Crapsman home tool boxes with small drawers. They are cheap enough second hand and friction glides good enough. I bought two intermediate boxes that were mounted on a plate an mounted under a table frame. Next to my Rockwell mill it holds the cutters and hold down pcs for working that station. The mechanics boxes are gleaned from yard sales and the like for 35 to 50 each. A top box stands in an electrical cabinet for tools in the Annex. (An area built to extend the garage.)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Look for an older dental office cabinet. These have quite shallow drawers, are nicely finished, etc. I saw one 20 years ago I really liked at a second hand store but they wanted way too much; about $1K CDN at that time. At 1/2 that I would have bought it as it was really nice.

Some older jewelry cabinets may suit your purpose also. w
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I settled on these rolling wood drawers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K9 ... UTF8&psc=1
They take some assembly, but they are solid wood for the price small narrow drawers on wheels. They roll right under my wall-to-wall worktable.
Nels