DRO fitting.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toglhot

DRO fitting.

Post by toglhot »

I bought a couple of Shahe DROs for my OPtimum Machinen 280 x 600 lathe a few weeks back and finally got around to fitting them. I have to say, I have no idea how I got by without them before, they make things so much easier.

Initially, I installed the cross slide DRO without a splash guard but the coolant played havoc with the reader so I made up new brackets, clamps and included a splash guard. The DRO was quite cheap at ($Aust38) but it works superbly. The clamps I milled using a vertical slide and the DRO, so easy with this DRO: The bar was 4mm thick so I milled a groove 3.95 deep in the clamps and they fitted great. Thee brackets had to have cutouts for the gib screws and were fixed to the cross slide via 3mm screws for which I drilled and tapped four holes. I also drilled and tapped a 3mm hole in the cross slide for the reader bracket.
4.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
5.jpg
kroll

Re: DRO fitting.

Post by kroll »

I like it,since its hard for me to see my dials I think that is the answer.Thanks for posting