Getting Rid of Live Oak Leaves?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz

spro

Re: Getting Rid of Live Oak Leaves?

Post by spro » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey Mauro, this makes too much sense. I wanted to line Steve up with this one.. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 00093.html

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Baltimore Craigslist? What are the chances I'd come home alive?
Don't trigger me, bro!

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm

You're Iron Man right?
Bullets hit ya, and they go tink tink tink.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 am

I came up with a strategy. I found out my mower was not set up for mulching. I ordered a mulching kit and 3 Gator blades. Supposedly, these blades do a better job. I may also get some kind of rake to drag. The idea is to loosen up the leaves so I can go back over them and mulch them.
Don't trigger me, bro!

spro

Post by spro » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi Steve G. You probably already investigated that. Many garden tractors have a cut-out switch so you can't mow backwards. Not an issue ? okay. It is still, literally, a pain in the neck. Your tractor is set up for front attachments which can be raised or lowered. A tine type, spring tine dethacher would dislodge the leaves in front of your mulching deck. You can raise/ lower it while mulching etc.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

First I have to get past the fun of removing the 345-pound deck from the mower, installing the kit and blades, and reinstalling the deck. I can hardly wait.

This mower mows in reverse.
Don't trigger me, bro!

spro

Post by spro » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 pm

That is a heavy deck. The procedure would be probably one of the hundreds available on the net now. I have my own ways but they are not particular to your machine. BTW none of my smaller tractors are limited against mowing in reverse. It was only when they got to lawn mowers which looked like tractors. They were too pathetic to even mention,....however... the automatic fuel cut off and ignition cut off saved my bacon one time. Mowing too close to irregular ditch, it ended with me under the mower. I had some gasoline in my clothing while scrabbling out from underneath it but it could've been worse. If it had been heavier garden tractor, well you imagine. I don't usually pump 300 lbs , forget 600 lbs. Pinned into a crevice with a fair lawn tractor on top, dripping gas, is quite enough. :)

stephenc

Post by stephenc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 pm

This entire conversation makes no sense to me .

I must be missing something, let's see if I am following along correctly .
So if I have this right you want to do a whole lot of work only to create yet more work for yourself ?

A much simpler solution that makes sense to me would be to leave the darn leaves where they are and let them kill the darn grass giving yourself less grass to mow .... it's a win win situation !

spro

Post by spro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 am

I would have said the same. There was enough "bait" that I was hooked to reply. In clear sense, trees are wonderful things as the leaves reconstitute the soil they need. I was too anal about the removal situation and will try to restrict any humor or events of no purpose.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 am

I don't want to live on a lot full of dirt.
Don't trigger me, bro!