Working Sanders?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

trivettj

Working Sanders?

Post by trivettj »

Can anyone please tell me where to get working Sanders for a 2.5 inch scale Engine? I would use 1.5 if that's all I can get I just don't know where to get them .
makinsmoke

Re: Working Sanders?

Post by makinsmoke »

Who do you know that doesn't mind you grinding off their railheads with sand?

:lol:

I thought Barry sold some once. Several folks sell
castings. Whether they can be made functional
is a question.
Chris Hollands

sanders

Post by Chris Hollands »

here is a picture
Attachments
IMG_1571.JPG
Last edited by Chris Hollands on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Brian Keim has them in 1.5 scale maybe they are a little bigger

Keim steam pump is the web site I think .

All his products are excellent .
trivettj

Post by trivettj »

To reply to the question of who I know that doesn't mind me grinding the rail with sand I guess that would be me cause where I need sand is on my own track and I just wanted to be able to use them if I run in the snow or whenever the track is wet and I don't really want to put fake Sanders on the Engine I would like to know that there really able to work if I need them. :D
trivettj

Post by trivettj »

Brian is who I have tried to contact about buying them I already have his 2.5 inch scale air compressor and water pump and I love them he does awesome work.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

In full size the sanders gave more trouble than any of the other appliances, especially in snow. They need to be working before a locomotive leaves its initial terminal. If the sand gets wet, it clumps and clogs. Snow and ice build up on the ends down by the drivers. Every sand pipe I've seen shows evidence of attacks with a hammer.
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the obvious risk of getting sand in the motion and other bearings. I take it you're running on aluminum rail - steel rail is much less slick in the wet. My advice would be to fit dummy sanders if you feel the need but working ones... never.
Ray.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Like Marty said, we had more problems than they were worth. You needed to start with DRY sand and hope the drivers didn't throw water back in the sand tubes. More than once a member of the engine crew had to go out on the front pilot and pour sand directly on the rail head.

John B.
trivettj

Post by trivettj »

I have now spoken with Brian and he is working on a larger set of Sanders for me thanks for all the information about them being a pain in the rear to keep working I had no idea how they worked until he sent me a page explaining the operation of a sander and now that I know they only drop sand by gravity I understand why they clog up so easily thanks for all the reply's letting me know that they are so hard to keep working. Maybe they will be more for looks than function.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Jack or someone was doing manual operated sanders using walnut shell on a Berkshire I think ?
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Actually the big engines had power sanders which looked a lot like Brian's. A stream of air was blown across the feed pipe from the sand dome and out the front pipe connection. This did two things, it drew the sand out of the supply and then kept a pressurized flow down the sand pipes which helped reduce water/sand clogs.

Our little Porter had a valve in the sand dome with a manual lever back to the cab. This was subject to all the aforementioned problems.

John B.