Pressure gauge

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jlakes85

Pressure gauge

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi all,

I decided to give with an Ashcroft 0-300 gauge for the shay with a 1/8 NPT inlet. This is being rigged up with steam rated brass compression fittings using 1/8 OD copper refrigeration tube. Until I did a test fit yesterday, I didn't realize how small the passage was in the refrigeration tube. The gauge worked fine and matched directly with the air compressor. Should I be ok with this setup?
Pontiacguy1

Re: Pressure gauge

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yes, the gauge measures pressure, and there really is no flow associated with that pipe. So, basically as long as it is getting a good pressure signal from the main boiler shell, you're good. You also want to make sure that the gauge is supported well, and make sure you put a siphon on there so that the gauge doesn't overheat.
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Thanks Pontiac. I already have the gauge on the end of a long tube that dips down and comes back up to the level of the tap off of the top of the boiler barrel. Is this good to function as a syphon(once filled with water) or are there other things to consider as well?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That should do it. I usually make a complete loop and then go back up with mine, but I don't think it necessary to do so. Main thing is there should be some condensation between your gage and the steam from the boiler to keep the internal temp from getting too hot. As long as you're not screwing it right into the top of the boiler, you should be OK.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

blow the line out regularly otherwise it will clog up and read low..

I take mine off every year and toss it (the line) in a jar of white vinegar for a while then blow it out with the air compressor.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.