Restoring C&O 1309 (2-6-6-2)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Restoring C&O 1309 (2-6-6-2)

Post by Harold_V »

Some of you may find this interesting.

https://www.wmsr.com/restoring-1309/

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Atkinson_Railroad

Re: Restoring C&O 1309 (2-6-6-2)

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Several pages of armchair entertainment discussion have been devoted to this project at the Railway Preservation News forum.

The preservation of the locomotive is currently suspended.

RYPN URL: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40615

Trains magazine report here: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... -17-update

JDA
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I would caution critics regarding this project. Undertaking the complete restoration of a steam locomotive is some of the most difficult work you can undertake. Funding is critical and having knowledgeable project managers on site is as much a part as funding.
If you're a C&O fan, find out how you can help, otherwise stand back and allow this to play out. It's daunting enough, even when everything goes well.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
WJH

Post by WJH »

Would be much cheaper if we still had the infrastructure for such a project still in this country. We sure have tons of ruins of what it used to be like. Wish I had a time machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NP317

Post by NP317 »

WJH wrote:Would be much cheaper if we still had the infrastructure for such a project still in this country. We sure have tons of ruins of what it used to be like. Wish I had a time machine.
Think Union Pacific in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
~RN
WJH

Post by WJH »

NP317 wrote:
WJH wrote:Would be much cheaper if we still had the infrastructure for such a project still in this country. We sure have tons of ruins of what it used to be like. Wish I had a time machine.
Think Union Pacific in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
~RN
They are a unique exception, where love for steam has not been completely trumped by the bean counters, AND they have the resources.

Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Think Strasburg RR in PA. They do amazing work on their own equipment, and for other RR's too. They make the UP look like amateurs.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Actually, Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum was able to obtain some US-made machine tools from Europe that were made for steam locomotive maintenance. These had been provided by the US after WW2 to help rebuild European RRs following the war. So these “repatriated” machine tools represent a recovery of capability that was lost when U.S. railroads dieselized, and scrapped their steam infrastructure.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN