A new start with the younger generation

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Highiron

A new start with the younger generation

Post by Highiron »

A new start with a new generation

Little Engines is pleased to bring you a photo and will follow up with continued progress of a new start by the newest generation of live Steamers here we have 13 year old Mitchell Johnson ( son of Jason Johnson) working in the shop with his dad constructing his very own little engines 0-6-0 locomotive from scratch with are casting kits. this is a much-needed boost for our hobby to get the younger Generations involved and teach them and learn old-world blue-collar trades and to learn how to make and do things with their hands here at Little Engines we encourage this anyone else who wishes to get onto a new start with someone from the younger generation by all means please contact us here at Little Engines and we will make special arrangements for you to get a set of castings

I will upload a picture shortly the computer is getting me a hard time
Steggy

Re: A new start with the younger generation

Post by Steggy »

Highiron wrote:A new start with a new generation...we encourage this anyone else who wishes to get onto a new start with someone from the younger generation...
You have some mighty stiff competition from "smart" phones, video games and other gadgets. Youngsters today have no understanding of getting one's hands dirty in a shop while turning raw materials into useful products. They think pushing a button is all that's required. Good luck! :?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Okay I got it working now here is the picture of 13 year old Mitchell Johnson Machining his 0-6-0 side frames
Attachments
4226.jpeg
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Hey, I was that dreamer at one point- about 30 years ago.

Dad started me on a Stuart #10- and I have a spare one downstairs if either lad takes an interest in making one. While I don't often cut chips, I have the basics of how to do so downstairs, and can at least maintain what I have with what I have. I don't know if I will ever make another full engine- but at least I have a darn'd good idea of what work goes into making one. (or a car, for that matter, and a house). I'd prefer to hit go and have the finished product pop out, but we're not there yet...

Image2plants88 by Peach James, on Flickr

James
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

It's great to see!
I am 42, and always loved making and fixing things on my own when I was young. It started with "kit-bashing" bicycles, assisting my dad in putting new main bearings in my 100cc motorcycle, and finally working on my dads metal lathe and grandpa's wood lathe making a variety of things. I then took "running start", a program which let high-school kids attend collage or tech school for HS credits, and went to machine technology and CNC programming.
Times have changed though, I think we are going to see more home metal shop work being done, but as a profession a lot of it has been off-shored and its not going to come back.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I gave some Harbor Freight screwdrivers and wrenches to my grandson (age 7yrs) for Christmas, along with a busted CD player for "disassembly". He had a ball, and saved screws and springs for himself. When I was teaching science, if we had kids finish up early, I give them tools and some junk machines to take apart. Now, my daughter's boyfriend is a mechanic, and says getting the child to reassemble stuff should be the point, but I disagree. Girls and boys learn so much by just seeing how they are things are put together.
Mitchell appears to be getting some first-rate tool instruction, including safety glasses. From this seat, I'd say his instructors are doing well by doing good.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Can't emphasize safety enough when starting them out. I've worked with a number of people that wouldn't be counting to 10, if it wasn't for the surgeons ability to re-attach fingers.