Deburring

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EOsteam

Deburring

Post by EOsteam »

The journal box covers for my Northern trailing truck are brass and have 12 holes for the retaining screws. After drilling the holes, a raised edge was noted on the entrance side of the hole and a more pronounced flashing on the exit side. The first cover did not have any flashing on the exit since it was backed by the Aluminum custom holder that was made to allow indexing of the holes. However, the remaining three covers did due to the drill holes made in the aluminum when the first cover was drilled. Since there is a flange on back side that is close to the holes, how does one debur the hole without making a mess of things? An aircraft mechanic friend was observed spinning a drill bit by hand in holes he had just drilled but the brass is so grabby that it does not work well. Here are a couple of pics.
Journal Box cover
Journal Box cover
Flashing on exit of drill holes
Flashing on exit of drill holes
HJ
spro

Re: Deburring

Post by spro »

I think the name is counter bore. This is and end mill sort with and interchangeable pilot. The center pilot fits the holes and spun by any means (including a brace) cuts the flash off evenly.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I have 4 sizes drill bits (1/16; 1/8; 1/4 and 1/2) mounted on handles. All are stoned with zero rake. A quick turn of the wrist and the burr is out, A bit more pressure and you have a tiny chamfer. For straight edges I scored a small 3 corner scraper.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I wonder why people don't use abrasives for this. Sometimes a cutting tool really wants to leave a burr.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I use Noga Rotodrive tools for hand deburring small holes.

http://www.noga.com/Products/sets/Sets% ... t_-_RD2010

I already had the handle for other deburring blades so i just buy the countersinks.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Rick

Post by Rick »

I have always used fluteless countersinks in a cordless drill or by hand
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

For non-grabby deburring I have Noga, drill bit with the edge stoned, woodworking countersinks for screwdrivers, proper HSS countersinks, and a nice countersinking and chamfering milling tool from Daishowa, the name of which escapes me ;-)

(EDIT - Daishowa Center Boy, I made my own holder)
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I have always used a carbide ball burr of the appropriate size, mounted in a handle. It makes a nice small chamfer and is easy to turn.
Long ago and far away I had a room-mate that apprenticed at Bausch and Lomb in Rochester, NY and that is a trick he learned there.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.