New member from Texas thinking about a K36 (or 37)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

alco2350

New member from Texas thinking about a K36 (or 37)

Post by alco2350 »

Hello all.

My name is Britt and I live on the outskirts of Houston, Texas. Over the past few years I have been acquiring various pieces of equipment to create a home machine shop, all for the purpose of one day constructing a 7.5" gauge locomotive to operate out at the Houston Area Live Steamers (HALS). I have a 16" lathe, a Bridgeport mill with an oversize table (9x60), band saw, and drill press.

In a past life (not literally) I was a heavy diesel mechanic for a construction company, then for a short line railroad. I moved from the engine shop to transportation and spent some time as a conductor, then engineer. My current occupation has nothing to do with either of those, (I am an API inspector working for an engineering company.) I say all of that to say this: I do have some machining experience, and I have learned a tremendous amount over the last few years. I also rebuild engines (ICE), restore cars, and so on.

Since the HALS runs 7.5" gauge, I figure that is my limiting factor as far as maximum size is concerned. Per what I've read, a realistic scale for live steam running on that track (figuring 56.5 inches standard by 7.5") is 1.6, or just over 1/8 per foot (eighth scale). Having poured over the internet looking at pictures and watching video's on youtube, I'm not really happy with that size.

I was wondering if the plans for the K-36 (located here http://modelsteamengines.tripod.com/dra ... _2-8-2.htm) which is a narrow gauge locomotive could be scaled down to perhaps 3:1, or 1/4 per foot? I figured an inside frame locomotive would look ridiculous at one quarter scale on 7.5" track, which is why I selected the K series. I found drawings for "Doris" online, the little LMS Class 5 locomotive with plans in 3/4" scale. Way too small for me (but easy to scale up to 1.5 or 3:1) and I really didn't want a British locomotive.

First step is to get the K36 drawings I suppose. This will be my first locomotive, and I have no time limit on the build.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Britt Bettell
KenG

Re: New member from Texas thinking about a K36 (or 37)

Post by KenG »

David Curwen in the UK built overscale K36s commercially for 7-1/4 inch gauge. I don't know the exact scale but there is one running on the Diamond Valley Railway in Australia you might want to check out.
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Hi Britt,
I bought that set for the K36-37 many years ago and it is a very good collection although not complete. This engine in 2.5" scale works out perfect for 7.5" gauge track. Many have been built in this country to this scale. Best of luck.
Jeff Smith
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

KenG wrote:David Curwen in the UK built overscale K36s commercially for 7-1/4 inch gauge. I don't know the exact scale but there is one running on the Diamond Valley Railway in Australia you might want to check out.
That size and scale is perfect! Thanks for the heads up.

Britt
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

jeffsmith wrote:Hi Britt,
I bought that set for the K36-37 many years ago and it is a very good collection although not complete. This engine in 2.5" scale works out perfect for 7.5" gauge track. Many have been built in this country to this scale. Best of luck.
Jeff Smith
I'm looking at them pretty hard (the drawings). I think I may order the frame drawings just to get an idea of size and material required. Any idea what the boiler diameter was (is)?

Britt
KenG

Post by KenG »

Britt, another suggestion would be the Sandy River #24 from Allen Models in Nevada. 3-3/4" scale.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

I believe that there are two K-36 engines being custom built in Las Vegas in 2 1/2" scale for 7 1/2" gage. I don't know where the castings came from but probably from the same source as the two engines that were built in Tom Miller's area. Tom's just went to New Zealand and will be re gaged to 7 1/4" gage. So there are castings available for this engine which is a BIG plus.
Cary
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

If you can, get to the Train Mountain Triennial this summer. I don't know if one will show up there but you will get a chance to see some 2 1/2 scale equipment. A K-36 is a very big engine and you should take a look at one before making the commitment.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

Greg_Lewis wrote:If you can, get to the Train Mountain Triennial this summer. I don't know if one will show up there but you will get a chance to see some 2 1/2 scale equipment. A K-36 is a very big engine and you should take a look at one before making the commitment.
Not a bad idea. Thanks for the tip.

Britt
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The K-27 is a big engine in 2.5" scale that fits 7.5" track. All the drawings and castings are available here in the US. Have a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAuPPufNro
Here is a K-27 in Georgia.
Attachments
msls fred 5 copy.jpg
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

One other thing is if you live near Houston you will have a tough time finding 7-1/4" gauge track to operate on nearby.

I would buld whatever you pick to 7-1/2".

Just my two cents.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Try contacting Dennis Weaver through Kitsap Live Steamers:
http://kitsaplivesteamers.org

Several years ago I visited his Washington State shop and he still have the patterns, castings and plans for one of the 2.5" scale 7.x" gauge Mikados.
Dennis had purchased the entire business for those locomotives from another person.
I don't have any more details.
~RN